• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted October 26 2016 - 08:50 PM

Ex Machina
Movie Blurb by Shale
May 6, 2015

This is my kind of film - exploring the possibility of Artificial Intelligence and all the new ramifications that happen after we create it. This has been dealt with in so many works of futuristic fiction - especially Star Trek, which focused on the rights of "machines" with artificial intelligence and at which point they are sentient beings to live their own lives. These issues are also dealt with in some of my favorite movies like Blade Runner, A.I., I Robot, Moon & her.

And, this movie covers all of those issues intelligently, while playing out an entertaining and quite suspenseful plot.

The aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes give it a 91% fresh and 89% of audiences liked it as did I. The critics consensus was: "Ex Machina leans heavier on ideas than effects, but it's still a visually polished piece of work -- and an uncommonly engaging sci-fi feature."It is basically a play with three actors in a single setting (shot at Juvet Landscape Hotel in Valldalen, Norway - with stunning wilderness scenery).

Caleb Smith (Domhnall Gleeson) is a programmer working at a very popular Web search engine when he learns that he won a contest that lets him work directly with the reclusive company boss Nathan Bateman (Oscar Isaac) for a week on a special project.

Somehow, the suspense starts when the programmer nerd is dropped off in the wilderness by the company helicopter pilot who says he is not allowed to go any closer to the facility. After trekking to a cabin and being let in by computer, Caleb finally meets Nathan and we learn that the boss is a type A personality, who drinks in excess and plays mind games with subordinates.

Worker Meets Boss
Posted Image

After signing a non-disclosure agreement and affirming that he is familiar with the Turing test for artificial intelligence (a blind study where you cannot differentiate whether a response is from a computer or a human), Nathan takes Caleb to meet Ava (Alicia Vikander), the A.I. android.

Caleb, Ava & Nathan
Posted Image

During the questioning of Ava, Caleb finds her intriguing and desirable and her responses to his questions are very human, where she even takes the lead and inquires of his life, being a little flirtatious. And, Caleb is getting enamored. .

Ava Being Coy
Posted Image

There are also intrigues involving the eccentric Nathan, which Caleb starts snooping out. This is where the movie gets quite suspenseful and you know some conflict will occur.

If you are into sci-fi and A.I. stories, I would recommend not missing this movie. I will likely get it when the DVD comes out and see it again. This movie is rated R because of the several full-frontal (and nice backside) nude scenes of Alicia Vikander and other female actors.

Click here to view the article

#2 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 26 2016 - 08:55 PM

Good Movie!

3i6eiPI.png?

#3 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted October 28 2016 - 01:56 PM

Just watched this the other day. I thought they could have done more with it honestly. I liked the ending. 

Posted Image

#4 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 01 2016 - 11:10 AM

Just watched this the other day. I thought they could have done more with it honestly.

In what way?

3i6eiPI.png?

#5 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted November 02 2016 - 06:16 AM

In what way?

I thought it should have gone outside the boundaries of the residence more. 

Posted Image

#6 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 02 2016 - 09:00 AM

I thought it should have gone outside the boundaries of the residence more.

Yah that could have beeen interesting...
Have year you ever read I Robot by Issac Asminov, I felt this movie was the closest to caputuring the spirit of that book with some of more nuanced interactions with Robots.

I definitely felt it closer to the intent of I Robot compared to like the Will Smith movie of the same name.

I highly recommend that book though!

3i6eiPI.png?

#7 Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted November 02 2016 - 09:40 AM

It ended like there was going to be a sequel.

#8 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted November 02 2016 - 03:20 PM

Yah that could have beeen interesting...
Have year you ever read I Robot by Issac Asminov, I felt this movie was the closest to caputuring the spirit of that book with some of more nuanced interactions with Robots.

I definitely felt it closer to the intent of I Robot compared to like the Will Smith movie of the same name.

I highly recommend that book though!

No I never have. I like John Grisham. He's good. Haven't read Asimov. I love my Sci-Fi but don't go for classics as much. Good to hear from you!

Posted Image

#9 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 04 2016 - 06:29 AM

No I never have. I like John Grisham. He's good. Haven't read Asimov. I love my Sci-Fi but don't go for classics as much. Good to hear from you!

The book is a collection of short stories which has some recurring themes throughout. I found it more philosophically oriented, rather than the standard dystopian action that has been prevalent in AI movies probably since Terminator. Similarly Ex-Machina relied a lot on examining emotional qualities and probing questions about the nature of humans, which reminded me of Asminov's book.
  • soulcompromise likes this

3i6eiPI.png?

#10 Redditswordsman

Redditswordsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

Posted November 18 2016 - 10:00 AM

Have any of you guys see the Ghost in the shell series? It was recommended to me by one of my philosophy nut friends, it deals with artificial intelligence and touches on technology and man. It seems that you guys would be really into this.

"Protect the environment get rid of  responsibly" - A caring human

no outside links allowed in signatures

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop