Modern Art Is Shit

Discussion in 'Art' started by Fueled by Coffee, Aug 14, 2016.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

It seems that many famous artists try hard to be silly, put poetic meaning in pointless shit, offensive, and half-assed. The impressionist movement in the early 20th century ruined centuries of artistic wonder of each generation of artists trying to out perform the last one with higher standards. Now we have paint splatter artists like Jackson Pollock, and readymade artists like Marcel Duchamp and his worthless urinal.

No, their is no deeper meaning to your colored squares or your splattered finger paintings that took you less than 10 minutes to create. And no, there is no "deeper meaning" behind it either. Your fucking paint splatters don't symbolize the plight of dirt farmers in Venezuela, it's just paint splatters for fuck sake.

Oh, you think putting a Jesus Christ crucifix in a vat of your own urine is edgy and offensive? That's fine, but why won't the art establishment allow any drawings of the prophet Muhammad? That's right, the government will cut off all your funding if you do anything politically incorrect :bomb:

Readymade art is the worst. Readymade art is when an artist buys a product at the store, gives it a name, puts it on display (sometimes after painting it a different color, sometimes doing nothing to it at all), and gets paid thousands of dollars for it. For example Marcel Duchamp's Urinal or Snow Shovel.

Hell, I could do a readymade myself: Behold my red brick:

[​IMG]

I call this piece "Cell"

[Speaking in the tone of a snooty art snob]: "Eh-hemm... Cell is presented here as a red brick. Red brick are singular building blocks that create manmade structures when they converge together. Cells are biological building blocks that when they converge together, create multicellular life forms such as plants and animals. The redness of "Cell" represents blood, the fluid of life. Blood is life. Pathways and buildings constructed from red bricks represnt the toil and bloodshed of the working class proletariat who builds these structures to keep society intact. Without buildings we cannot have society. Without blood, there is no life."

And there you have it.

The Los Angeles Museum spent $10 million for a Rock (your hard earned tax dollars at work)

[​IMG]

A pair of reading glasses was left on the floor of an art gallery, and museum goers mistook it as Modern Art
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/a-pair-of-glasses-were-left-on-the-floor-at-museum-and-everyone-mistook-it-for-art-a7049551.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Relax...

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  3. 6-eyed shaman

^
    [​IMG] LOL honestly that made me laugh! Well played...

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Visit your local Art Museum, pay attention to the placard next to the artworks... size, typeface, cardstock, border, etc. etc.

Go home and make a bunch of them that say,

Thermostat​
    by (your name here)​
    (make up a date)​
    Sculpture​
    Materials used:​
    Plastic, Bi-metal strip, Small circuit board, Various electrical components.​
    Go back to the museum and carefully place them next to all the thermostats.... Make sure the guards don't see you.

It's art because I'm an artist and I say it's art.

1 person likes this.
  5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have learned that one can make an excellent depiction of what one sees, and that is a skill.....and many people cannot do that.....but, one can take a photograph of the same thing......a gifted artist will make you feel something and see something in a new light or in a way you never thought about before......I like art in every category. ..the art that makes me feel something and think about it....I dislike much art in every category also.....The beauty or art is in the beholder.....and we all see things differently.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I bet when you looked in the mirror this morning, your first thought was "Ugh, another hideous piece of modern art"

7. 6-eyed shaman

Actually I wanted to make love to it

8. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Okay, that made me lol.

9. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

can't say modern art has left much of an impression on me.

get it? impression, ahahahaaaa. yep....

2 people like this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

........[​IMG] ........ :wall:

Cheers Glen..

1 person likes this.
  11. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

It has probably been over 35-40 years since I went to a museum. I think the last time was with my parents in Pittsburgh PA. There was some kind of "traveling" show by a couple artists. I never got their names.

As you entered the room there were 10 foot by 20 foot pieces that were broken dishes glued to probably a piece of wood. It was not like a mosaic. Just totally random and you could still see that the things were dishes.

I asked my parents which way to the Monet's. They told me and as I headed out the other end of the room there was a grand piano that had some damage and a dead chicken hanging from the ceiling over the open grand piano.

Needless to say I enjoyed my Monet's etc. and met up with my parents later.

3 people like this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

We have a sculpture in town that looks like a big tangled mess of canned cheese. And it sits close to a Waffle House sign, which if any of you are familiar know that the Wa Ho logo is a horrid yellow..and the sculpture is the same color.

Art is subjective and I respect that, but I also mostly agree modern art kinda sucks.

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

£2.5 million for this when it was auctioned at Christie's. 'My Bed' by Tracey Emin.

Art?

[​IMG]

14. Tyrsonswood

Does she still sleep in it?

1 person likes this.
  15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I used to fell that way until I came across a book called Art and Physics, by Leeonard Shlain.

In it Shlain traces the history of art in relation to physics and the world view of the artists of the time.

Beginning with classical Greece he relates art forms to the current understanding of physics.

The Greek artists positioned their figures in a linear manner which relied on the horizon. Transcending the world of myth they began to incorporate space and proportion as a real thing and this is shown in their art. The world was made up of real measurable things and logic and literacy prevailed.

With the fall of civilization and the rise of the dark ages the view of real things began to change and the world became a flat Earth with a real Heaven above. Classical art was destroyed as only art related to Christ was seen to be valuable. Linear art disappeared as time and space became irrelevant to the views of salvation. Figures in paintings became simpler as the written word almost disappeared and they were unrelated in space and time, a single figure could be repeated many times in the same painting showing different divine aspects. Logic in art was abandoned.

During the late middle ages literacy returned with the printing press and with it the rules of logic again reestablished themselves in art. Perspective was developed and with it art began to represent one instant of time. Like a photograph art began to represent the real world as it appears in this instance. This form of art prevailed until the modern era.

With the invention of the camera art again began to change as it provided an exact copy of the world without being influenced by the artist's perception. What the camera saw and the artist painted were not the same. The camera allowed for a precise measuring of space and also provided an exact moment of time. Artists panicked as they saw themselves being put out of work by a machine that could offer a perfect copy of the world.

At the same time non-Euclid geometry was born and curved space became a reality. Space, Time, and Light were about to change again.
    Monet, Manet, and Cezanne began to use light and perspective in new ways. Objects were arranged without regard to space, multiple point perspective was introduced, and light was allowed to enter a picture from different angles. All following the views of the new physics.

With the revelations of Einstein the art world blew apart. Classical reality was shattered and artist began exploring multiple time frames, and point of view as in Picasso's works that show the same figure from many different angles and times all fused into one body. Relativity entered art. It wasn't good enough to capture a single moment of time, art had to express all the different aspects of relativity.

Objects became distorted as they do at different relative speeds, colors took on importance as they were seen not a aspects of objects but as objects themselves. Cubism presented the front, back, sides, top and bottom of objects without requiring the viewed to move through time and space.
    [​IMG]

Futurist destroyed time depicting what was to come along with what was here and now reflecting the distortion and relativity of time found by Eisenstein.

[​IMG]

Freud entered the picture and introduced the concept of the unconscious. Together with Einstein's destruction of time and space Freud's ideas entered the art world in the form of Surrealism.
    In Dali's Persistence of Memory we see time melting in a subconscious view of the world.

[​IMG]
    And so it goes this book really helped me understand what's going on in modern art. There's much more but this is getting long.

1 person likes this.
  16. Tyrsonswood

^^^ Yeah, that's all cool 'n stuff... But somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's "Modern Art" just got fucking weird.

1 person likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

What I don't like in modern art is one of the things you mentioned. I don't care for what you are referring to as "readymade". It is not as cool as a painting.

18. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

In general, yes... but there are at times decent modern sculptures/paintings that at least do a good job with color and whatnot.

19. BlackBillBlake

I agree. The readymade thing is really BS in my opinion. Seems to me to part of a culture of celebrity where the artist is more important than the art.

I quite like some modern art - paintings mainly. A lot more of it I don't like.

20. BlackBillBlake

Although I don't particularly like Dali's work, at least he could paint.