• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#11 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted June 18 2016 - 04:22 PM

Sleep in the camp fire?

Wait! That wouldn't work quite right....

This. I've been on a primitive wilderness course in Northern Idaho before. It gets cold and it rains and it snows but anyway... what we had were wool blankets. I'm not sure how well this actually works. I remember being quite cold on occasion. But thinking back, what Tyrsonwood says sort of rings true. I wish there were a way to just have a fire in the tent. Or a gas heater of sorts, or something like that. That would make it warmer for sure! Then I doubt the ground would be very cold because the air would be warmer. Hope this helps.

• newbie-one and Logan 5 like this
Posted Image

#12 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,674 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 18 2016 - 04:42 PM

use a fire to heat up large rocks....dig hole...bury hot rocks.....sleep over warm ground

• newbie-one, Logan 5 and gingeroot like this

#13 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,758 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted June 18 2016 - 06:36 PM

Just don't use sandstone rocks...

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#14 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,674 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 18 2016 - 07:13 PM

or wet ones

#15 Mattekat

Mattekat

Ice Queen of The North

• PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 18 2016 - 07:56 PM

My sleeping bag is q rated to -40c even though the coldest I've ever gone camping at was probably more like -20 so I've never encountered this problem. I normally wake up sweating and have to undo my sleeping bag. Maybe try getting one of those reflective emergency blankets that are super cheap and laying that down on the air matress before putting down your sleeping bag?
  • newbie-one likes this
"Life is change. Have some fun."

#16 hotwater

hotwater

• PipPipPip
  • 24,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New England

Posted June 18 2016 - 08:19 PM

I've gone camping 3 times during the winter months but in each instance I stayed in a cabin with a wood burning stove, however I found this online.

Sleeping Bag & Pad

In addition to a winter-specific or four-season tent, you'll also need a good sleeping Bag and Pad

While it may seem like it's enough to have a really warm bag, the sleeping pad is vital for providing another layer between you and the frozen ground.

Sleeping-Bag.jpeg

Be sure that your sleeping bag has an appropriate temperature rating, and consider also packing a sleeping bag liner to add a few extra degrees of warmth if needed.

To eliminate the amount of dead space in your bag, stuff your clothing inside at night—you’ll also appreciate having warm clothes to change into in the morning.

hotwater

Edited by hotwater, June 18 2016 - 08:21 PM.

• newbie-one likes this
Never! This is outrageous. I'm through with it. I'll have no more of this hell-spawn!

#17 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,609 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted June 19 2016 - 03:14 AM

I've gone camping 3 times during the winter months but in each instance I stayed in a cabin with a wood burning stove, however I found this online.

Good info in your post, but that's not camping ;)

Posted Image

#18 Dave_nz101

Dave_nz101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted June 19 2016 - 03:29 AM

people do not realise that cold from the ground is a major problem. It is as important to keep the cold from the ground away from you as the cold air above you. if you can afford it, get a down filled inflatable mattress.  BIVOUAC sell them, but wait until they are on special. They inflate to about 7cm. Roll up small. Slightly heavier than some other options. If I use a normal air bed I put a few blankets between me and the air bed. A cold air bed soon sucks any warmth out of you. The other option if you have room is a normal foam mattress

• newbie-one likes this

#19 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts

Posted June 20 2016 - 09:17 AM

i don't have much experience with cold weather camping, but as a general rule i've found that the more layers of blanket between yourself and the cold surface, the warmer you'll be.

I funny thing is that I've encountered this problem with summer camping.  It could be 85F during the day, and the air temps aren't that cold at night, it's just that the ground itself is freezing cold.

My guess is that in places with really cold winters, the ground stays cold more or less year round.

#20 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,663 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted June 20 2016 - 09:30 AM

The ground is loosing heat all night long, it's colder than 98.6 degrees and continuously dropping until daylight. It will wick heat from your body as your body has a much smaller mass, and as your body is motionless when you sleep it isn't generating a lot of heat to compensate.

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds