11 replies to this topic

#1 Aleighannajunaleigh

Aleighannajunaleigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted May 29 2016 - 07:39 AM

Hey! So I don't have any tattoos, but I think i want one. I just don't know where or how or when or what!! LOL. So maybe you guys can answer these questions for me:
How old were u when you got your first tattoo?

What was your tattoo?

Do you regret it?

Do you want more? Is tattooing addictive?

Does tattooing hurt in certain places?

Also, what are the most common types of tattoos? I want to avoid that... I just really need to think long and hard if i really do want a tattoo or not. It's a "permanent" decision, haha, so i don't know! Can u get tattoos removed? How does that work?

Thanks, guys!

Peace & Love

-Alison

• virgilgw16 likes this

*IMAGINATIORULETHWORLD*

#2 autophobe2e

autophobe2e

• PipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted May 29 2016 - 03:39 PM

20/21

octopus

nope

yes fuckin' lots/anything pleasurable has the potential to become addictive. It only matters if it negatively impacts your life. For example, I am probably addicted to reading, but it doesn't keep me down. Tattoos usually don't either, but it'd be naive to assume that certain kinds of tats won't potentially close certain doors to you (you tend not to see face tattoos on bank managers.)

Tattooing hurts everywhere but the pain is worse in certain areas. As a general rule, it hurts where it is closest to the bone, so the least painful areas are those where you have the most fat/muscle (calves, shoulders, biceps, forearm etc) and the most painful are those where the bone is closer to the skin (ribs, hands, tops of feet etc). The pain is tolerable, and since it is quite a constant pain, as long as you have something else to focus on, you'll be fine (bring a book is my advice.)

Any tattoo shop you visit will have flash on the walls. these are off the rack designs that can be easily stencilled on and done quickly. In certain places you don't even have to make an appointment to get these done. The most common designs will usually be featured on flash pages.

To be honest, it's a matter of personal preference, there are plenty of "cliche" designs that I think are really naff, but each to their own. The ones I hate the most are generic tribal, those blank star designs and tbh i'm not a huge fan of most "realistic" tattoos either. But as I say to each their own. Although I will say, from talking to some artists, you won't win over your chosen artist if you choose plain text. this blog post does a good job of explaining why: http://seppukutattoo...tering-and.html the most common tattoos are text saying things like "This too shall pass" "Only God can judge me" "Just breathe" etc. also yin/yangs, peace symbols, stuff like that. Nothing wrong with a popular design of course, but each to their own.

The best thing to do is find an artist whose style you really like, check their portfolio, bring them some ideas and let them work something good up for you. The best designs usually come from collaboration.

Tattoo removal is possible but very painful from what I hear. Tattoo ink fades over time because UV rays from the sun break down the ink in your skin. "Lasering" speeds up this process by shooting high energy UV at the inked area, breaking up the ink faster. As I say its painful, and usually takes several sessions. Thinking before inking is a good idea.

Edited by autophobe2e, May 29 2016 - 03:46 PM.

• Aleighannajunaleigh likes this

Ua2h5.jpg

#3 Ashalicious

Ashalicious

confident and wild

• PipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted May 29 2016 - 04:03 PM

I don't regret my first tattoo, but I do have a tattoo that I got on a whim and it is my least favorite tattoo by far. Do I regret getting it done? Yeah, I do.....

• Aleighannajunaleigh likes this
Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

#4 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted May 29 2016 - 06:48 PM

Never put bumper stickers on a Ferrari.

• Aleighannajunaleigh, penguinsfan13 and sarah73 like this

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#5 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,510 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted June 02 2016 - 03:12 AM

If you want to stand out (which seems the case as you want to avoid the most common ones) and are not sure at all what tattoo to get you better wait and find out you stand out the most these days by not getting a tattoo... :D

• Aleighannajunaleigh and riverman18 like this

Posted Image

#6 topazann

topazann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted August 11 2016 - 10:09 AM

A tattoo is something that can show the world something about your personality without having to speak to you. Unless it's something you've planned for years you'll end up regretting putting it on that part of your body, wishing to change the design, or wanting to remove it outright. Do not get a tattoo unless you're absolutely certain what and where you want it, and by who you want it done by.
My tattoo  was considered decision and choice. It's a part of me, and it denotes part of my development as a person. But I saw  face tattoomellow.png Me interesting are they regret?

#7 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 12,215 posts

Posted August 13 2016 - 04:49 PM

the best advice i ever heard is get the idea you want for a tattoo and then wait a month, if you have never had any regrets with the tattoo for that month then get it. if any part of you over that month thought....well.....then dont get it. 

getting a tattoo removed is more painful than getting it and it is more expensive. so know your tattooer before you do it also.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#8 Yggdrazil

Yggdrazil

Shadow Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted August 16 2016 - 01:21 PM

wait until u "think" becomes "know"

#9 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,556 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted August 16 2016 - 01:48 PM

I don't get people that wind up with random shit tattooed on themselves. I haven't gotten a tattoo yet because I haven't finished designing them and I have a few going, but I'm not sure it's what I want and if I'm unsure I'm definitely not going to have it permenantly inked on my skin.

My advice is almost like my advice with choosing a religion. You may as well go with the one that makes the most sense that means something to you. If it's not significant to you then you're just another fool with Chinese symbol, of sorts.

Right now I'm trying fill a void in one of my designs. I should take
It to a tattoo place and get them to fill it with knot work. But I'm not sure I like big bold knot work and definitely not in the size I want the tattoo which would be spread right across my back. Basically my avatar here, the pillar to stretch across my shoulders and down my middle back. Directly on top of the Irminsul I will have a Nordic sun cross, swastika, curved to represent exactly what it did 2000 years ago. That's in my culture, so it means a lot to me and something I've been involved in for a lot of my life.

I also have plans for a Mjolnir, Thor's Hammer, it will come down from my arm pit on my side with the faces of the hammer spreading across my tummy and my back, assuming my Irminsul doesn't get in the way. :)

But they aren't finished be drawn by me yet and I'm not letting anyone else do it because it'd take away all meaning that they were my designs etc. my tattoos, if I get them done, will mean a lot to me. :)
  • topazann likes this

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#10 Wolf Angel.

Wolf Angel.

• PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationWyth in the Shaw = Manchester - England

Posted November 13 2016 - 09:08 AM

I've often pondered upon having a Tattoo - although never seemed to get around to it

To be honest, I've not really found one that I can really connect with / to get done

- My youngest daughter however has had a few.

Discreetly positioned, they are both tasteful and expressive

:)

"And in the End, the Love You Take, is Equal to the Love, You Make"

< Peace + Love . Protest + Protect . Save the Planet > 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tattoos

Click to shop at In Harmony Herbs and Spice