• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 aoabai

aoabai

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 20 2016 - 07:06 PM

It makes me sad that for about a week or so I was taking painkillers that I was allergic to at the hospital. That is probably why I wasn't getting better, and had to stay another week, until I refused treatment. What makes things worse is the doctors released me with these painkillers, and are refusing now to switch them to something else that I'm not allergic to. Because according to them I was 'fine' at the hospital while taking them. But, I wasn't fine. They even said so, themselves. That's why they kept me there an extra week after everything was said and done. It's a really big let down, when you can't even trust professionals, that are suppose to be unbiased, and there to help you. Ah well. That's life. 

#2 ʈuɱɓɭiɳɠ.ƌičɛ

ʈuɱɓɭiɳɠ.ƌičɛ

🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲🎲

• PipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 20 2016 - 07:21 PM

Will your family doctor prescribe something that you aren't allergic to?

348r02f.jpg

#3 aoabai

aoabai

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 20 2016 - 07:33 PM

Will your family doctor prescribe something that you aren't allergic to?

I have Tramadol. It works for the stomach pain, but not the neck pain, considering I had surgery there too. 

#4 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,763 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 05:53 AM

Hundreds of thousands of people die from medical malpractice every year.

I appreciate modern medicine, it saved your life and it has saved mine before too, but at the same time I dont really trust it.
  • Terrapin2190 likes this

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#5 youfreeme

youfreeme

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 06:52 AM

Medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States, although they aren't properly documented as such.  (http://www.npr.org/s...dical-errors).

It's tough to think of doctors as regular humans, susceptible to all the flaws and shortcomings as the rest of us.  Bad days, anger, greed, personal trauma; it can all affect the decisions that medical professionals make moment to moment. Any scientific innovation, conducted by people, is going risk experiencing major flaws. 

I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience, though.  The inevitability of mistakes is no reason not to strive for perfection.

• secret_thinker likes this

#6 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 07:17 AM

The only thing you can do is make a new appointment with them and state your case. Or find out if there are other doctors covered by your insurance and switch doctors. This is frustrating because it can take months to get an appointment. My doctors office has what is known as a "nurse practitioner" which I think is like an intern. They can see you much sooner than a regular doctor. While I know they can make a diagnosis, I'm not sure if they can write prescriptions. You should call and find out the ins and outs of such a scenario. See if it will work for you; I know it did for me on a few occasions, but again, perhaps not for prescriptions. 

Posted Image

#7 morrow

morrow

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 07:46 AM

Are the pills registered that you are allergic to them? Or are you assuming that they are what made you feel ill?
It's unlikely that they would keep giving you them, if it's in your med file, you are allergic to them.
Do you think bad of them because they are not giving you the anaesthetic results you want?
If you genuinely believe your allergic to these pills,you need to be tested, and have the results added to your file!
If your painkillers are not enough, then you need to mention this to your local health doctor, people don't always realise, these are the people who take over your care, when discharged from hospital, you don't have to wait to see the consultant...good luck, and get well soon!

#8 r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned

Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

• PipPipPip
  • 12,127 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 09:08 AM

Didnt you leave the hospital and refuse further treatment? basically spitting in the doctors faces

• secret_thinker likes this

lebowski.jpg
Glauben diejenigen, die nach der Wahrheit suchen. Zweifle an denen, die ihn finden.

#9 aoabai

aoabai

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 08:10 PM

Are the pills registered that you are allergic to them? Or are you assuming that they are what made you feel ill?
It's unlikely that they would keep giving you them, if it's in your med file, you are allergic to them.
Do you think bad of them because they are not giving you the anaesthetic results you want?
If you genuinely believe your allergic to these pills,you need to be tested, and have the results added to your file!
If your painkillers are not enough, then you need to mention this to your local health doctor, people don't always realise, these are the people who take over your care, when discharged from hospital, you don't have to wait to see the consultant...good luck, and get well soon!

It's in my medical file that I'm allergic. But, the pharmacy says that doctors and nurses don't really read the file. I even had a wristband, but again the pharmacy said they don't really notice that stuff.

#10 aoabai

aoabai

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 21 2016 - 08:16 PM

Didnt you leave the hospital and refuse further treatment? basically spitting in the doctors faces

Lol, it wasn't that dramatic. But, yea... I left the hospital against medical advice, kind of.

I feel better. So, I'm fairly sure the extra week of feeling like shit was me having an allergic reaction to the painkillers that they were giving me.

Edited by aoabai, May 21 2016 - 08:16 PM.

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company