94 replies to this topic

#31 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,090 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted December 30 2015 - 07:04 AM

Riiight...hate to pop your fantasy but...

wiki

Cobain was obviously a fucking puke, and not only didn't care about quality or musicianship, didn't care about the band. He wasn't being an individual, he was just a fucked up kid throwing a temper tantrum, you could hear it in his voice, you could see it in his demeanor. And all his fans could relate with that apparently. It's just sickening

Which fantasy did you pop?

Like I said, despite his image, I acknowledge he was chasing after fame/succes. I'm not a fan of Cobain as a person (and also not even of the band), I merely said where it comes to grunge I dig Nevermind better than Soundgarden and most of Pearl Jam. That you say he didn't care about quality or musicianship and his band doesn't really mean shit to me, wether it is true or not. Sooo....? You are just shitting on another artist you dislike. You have a problem with how his fans regard him and his music and you seem to think I'm one of them merely because I don't regard Nevermind as utter crap and the people who made it as utterly talentless.  It's just sickening ;) :P 

Edited by Asmo, December 30 2015 - 07:07 AM.

#32 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 07:21 AM

Which fantasy did you pop?

That he was doing it his way. They had to hire a producer in an attempt to get the sound they apparently didn't get on their first.

I didn't write the wiki page, I don't have to shit on the band, they did a good enough job shitting on themselves.

#33 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,090 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 07:26 AM

Not sure where you got that I thought he managed his own sound and album production. How many musicians use a producer for that? I don't see the issue :P

#34 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 07:48 AM

they were doing it in their own way in their own unique style that sounded new and refreshing at the time and lots of people loved it (and apparently still do).

They obviously didn't like the sound of their first record, as it didn't reflect "their own unique style" So they hired a different producer, in hopes that he would make them sound more like what they thought they should sound like but didn't know how. Their "own unique sound" was a contrivance of many minds, not  " doing it their way"

You like the music, fine, good enough, but don't try to convince me they were anything special, anymore than any other pop phenom. The monkees, Bay city rollers, the sex pistols, what have you...

#35 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,287 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 30 2015 - 07:49 AM

They obviously didn't like the sound of their first record, as it didn't reflect "their own unique style" So they hired a different producer, in hopes that he would make them sound more like what they thought they should sound like but didn't know how. Their "own unique sound" was a contrivance of many minds, not  " doing it their way"

Nevermind was not Nirvana's first record

3i6eiPI.png?

#36 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 08:00 AM

First major label record

Edited by Theprodu, December 30 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#37 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 08:01 AM

~

Edited by Theprodu, December 30 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#38 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 08:07 AM

Not sure where you got that I thought he managed his own sound and album production. How many musicians use a producer for that? I don't see the issue :P

You said he did it his way and that he was some maverick of individuality...no wait , that was 'toast.

anyway he was the "voice of a generation" which is disgusting enough for me, considering his message.  If it's true then what a fucked up generation. It's pity-full

#39 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,090 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 08:21 AM

You like the music, fine, good enough, but don't try to convince me they were anything special, anymore than any other pop phenom. The monkees, Bay city rollers, the sex pistols, what have you...

I'm not a fan of Nevermind, it just goes to show how I am even less impressed with most other grunge. 

You said he did it his way and that he was some maverick of individuality...no wait , that was 'toast.

anyway he was the "voice of a generation" which is disgusting enough for me, considering his message.  If it's true then what a fucked up generation. It's pity-full

He did it his way, they were for a large part his songs. Production doesn't take away from that (well not every thing he put into it in this case at least). 

I did not say he was some pillar of individuality or something, I was just going against your remark how he wasn't being an individual at all where it comes to his music, but 's all teenage angst. This is of course nonsense, coming from your subjective dislike for the guy, his music and/or the message behind it. Even if it is mainly teenage angst, if it comes from inside him and he pours this angst in a whole album of musical tunes (that you may dislike) why/how is he being less of an individual because of it?

I would advice you don't concern yourself so much with remarks like he was the voice of a generation. It only holds as much merit as you give to it ;) He was a strong voice of the 90's though, wether we like it or not. Maybe you just don't like his generation? I mean what's so pitiful about it except if you take that sentence a little too seriously?

#40 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 30 2015 - 08:26 AM

He was a strong voice of the 90's though, wether we like it or not.

Only due to mass crass marketing from the record industry.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grunge Rock, Grunge, Music

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop