What Do You Think Of A New Age Grunge Style Of Music

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by WillieNelson55, Nov 19, 2015.

1. WillieNelson55

WillieNelson55 Members

What do you think of the idea of a new era of grunge music. Is grunge really dead or do you think grunge music could make a comeback?

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

"Grunge" never really existed. It was a term invented by critics and marketing men to sell a type of punk/hard rock in the mid 90s.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It sucked the first time around.

4. I think there will one day be a band that doesn't suck, and they will play electric guitars. Critics will wonder if it's grunge, but in the end they'll come up with something new to label it, since we will all be on the cutting edge as always.

5. quark

quark Parts Unknown

A grunge parody band (like Steel Panther/Heavy Metal) would be funny... Or maybe depressing.... Who knows, it didn't last long enough to really make much of an impact besides loose fitting plaid shirts.

6. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

And it got a junkie with mediocre songwriting skills stringing together gibberish like English was his second language elevated to godlike status.

C/S,
    Rev J

2 people like this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Wicked Slam Death Metal :punk:

8. notrick

notrick Members

Profesional opinion as a sound engineer wheather running a live sound board and gators full of good tech it's just imposable to make even 1/2 the people happy--but Nirvana and pearl Jam jam were like that for years----so who knows. I've mixed a few songs and to say frustrating would be generous. But's often the case. Mixing for a master comes out better in my opinion.
    It's been around in Europe, Scandinavia the Balkans for a looong time and I've only recently talked to some producers in NYC there who say it will never cross the country. "The Bands think they'er gods."
    We'll Pretty much all Rock thought that. The difference is Rock from 60s 70s 80s 90s 2000+ that are successful are very good muscians, work well together, most know multipul instruments, and theory. All know keys and modes and can change keys on a dime -- without thinking. They love music and thats it. they'er not in it just for the money weman cool toys hot guys---they'er in it for the music.
    You'll still find Stephen Stills, or Jackson Brown Bonnie Raitt up until sunrise with $700 headphones or plugs jaming to back tracks, adding drum riffs, or bass solo's 7 to 20 hours sometimes. Sometimes obsessing on a song, sometimes just nuddleing.

One of the best guitar teacher I ever met said "practice till your fingers bleed then wook on piano till they heal.

9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

new age
    grunge

you must mean seefeel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRLZwcg_SM

10. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Well....I watched that whole video and I certainly wouldn't call it grunge. Maybe New Age and even jammy in it's own way. I think it's ok for what it is, cool to hear and may even be fun to jam on. But two things I noticed.....first....there is almost zero reaction from the crowd except for the few super heady bros up front who probably can lecture everyone else on what it means to really "get it". Second...they cut the jams from one song to the next or the beginnings and endings of songs for this video. If this is the reaction from the crowd on what they thought was good enough to keep....either the rest of the music was really a drag or the drugs in the crowd were incredible...which is a realistic possibility.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Everyone did go nuts for Nevermind, one of those times when everyone you knew was playing the same album for a period of about 6 months or so

Mediocre song writing skills?, album was full of catchy tunes, all of which Im totally sick of now...but back in the day.....

Anyhoo, "Grunge" was pretty much only one album by one band

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Grunge seems like it was primarily a product of the times. I cannot really see music in the age of social media and potentially professional production equipment on their home computer, have the same sort of self loathing quality as grunge, without sounding contrived.

Perhaps some aspects of it will continue to be utilized though.

13. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I Dont Like labels On Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8hE7_8BCY&feature=youtu.be

14. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Seefeel were an ambient band but they mostly use a conventional rock combo with some looping - I have a bootleg, or did before that external HD crashed from France were some French guy goes berserk telling them how bad they are. It's pretty funny. I learned about them a long long time ago now from the United States of Ambience compilation. Their vibe is like being in the womb with all the physical burbles and gating veins and heartbeats, or that's what I think. They are my single favorite ambient trance band. They would be what people used to call 'Chill-out.'

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It can't be brought back. Nevermind and some Pearl Jam stuff were the highlights of this (at best sub-)genre in rock. To me it can all be thrown in in the 'alternative rock' genre that got big in the 90's, but it can't be denied there are some distinctives that set bands like Nirvana and Pearl jam etc. apart from other typical 90's rock of course. Stil, these distinctive characteristics can now also occasionaly be found in different styles in the rock genre so yeah.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Dirt by Alice in Chains is another album that was a highlight of Grunge

3 people like this.
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think it's very possible that grunge will make a second appearance, but it might not be for a few years. Not sure what "new age" grunge would be though.

18. Asmodean

If some form of 'new age' grunge would come around I don't think it would even be called grunge. Grunge was a vague subgenre to begin with (one reason why it didn't last as long as most other subgenres) but it still had fairly clear characteristics. If those characteristics are not in it, or differ too much from 90's grunge it will not be a grunge revival at all, but a new (sub)genre that got inspired by grunge. Like dubstep was influenced by/took inspiration/indirectly emerged from dub but is no dub (for example).

19. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Grunge never had any distinctive characteristic other than watered down, poorly executed riffs borrowed from 60's and 70's rock with whiny, angst ridden lyrics and droning melodys plopped on top.

Mass marketing was the only thing that got grunge it's own record slot, separate from 'Alternative' which pretty much covered all no-talent charlatans demonstrating aural disdain for the higher art form.

20. Asmodean

Lol, seems like you're the one with disdain for a certain art form here.