• Logan 5 likes this

#2 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 17,528 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted July 16 2015 - 09:36 PM

I have friends who spent years in college to finish then try and find work and they're always told they need like... experience. You hear that a lot. It's like how can you get experience when no one hires because of a lack of experience.

Seems stupid.
  • PeatBog likes this

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#3 IRQ42

IRQ42

Scientia Potentia Est

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  • Locationsegmentation fault

Posted July 16 2015 - 09:46 PM

College is about learning and advancing your education, and bettering yourself. Thats what you pay for going to college, to learn a lot and become educated in a field you are interested in. Theres no guarantee that you will "make lots of money", and IMO people that only attend college for this reason probably shouldn't even be there. Some people actually like academics and the "making money" aspects are secondary.
  • Logan 5 and outhaboxx like this
"Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand"

In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion ...

If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
restrict the use of these programs.
-- Richard Stallman

https://github.com/IRQ42/
Posted Image

#4 Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla

Go Ape

• PipPipPip
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted July 17 2015 - 02:30 AM

I have friends who spent years in college to finish then try and find work and they're always told they need like... experience. You hear that a lot. It's like how can you get experience when no one hires because of a lack of experience.
Seems stupid.

You are supposed to do the work experience whilst at college, often for free

Those that did so will get hired first, that at least know enough about the reality of whichever industry to say the correct things at nterview stage

Basically the ones that dont expect everything handed to them

#5 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 39,055 posts

Posted July 17 2015 - 07:02 PM

You are supposed to do the work experience whilst at college, often for free

Those that did so will get hired first, that at least know enough about the reality of whichever industry to say the correct things at nterview stage

Basically the ones that dont expect everything handed to them

yes and no.  in theory, and in many cases, the truth is exactly as you just described.  but on the other hand, the graduate assistants when i was in grad school seemed to be the ones that most expected everything to be handed to them.  they basically got the jobs because they went to the same school as undergrads so they already had their jobs by the time the rest of us even applied for the school, and then they spent the next two years bitching about how their 20 hour a week job took up all their free time.  at the same time, a bunch of us were working 50 hours a week while going to school, because we had actual real world jobs, which may or may not have been in the field we were studying, because we may or may not have had experience.

so i agree with your first two sentences at least, but there's plenty of exceptions to the last part.

#6 bourne1978

bourne1978

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted June 13 2016 - 01:02 AM

I am glad I dropped out of college early on. It is a waste of time and money.

#7 IRQ42

IRQ42

Scientia Potentia Est

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  • Locationsegmentation fault

Posted June 13 2016 - 03:22 AM

When I'm done with my undergrad, or maybe grad school I might just leave this shit-hole of a country for good. Land of the free is a misnomer. "Land of the exploited" would be far more accurate.

• Logan 5 likes this
"Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand"

In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion ...

If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
restrict the use of these programs.
-- Richard Stallman

https://github.com/IRQ42/
Posted Image

#8 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,489 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted June 13 2016 - 04:11 AM

People should check in advance how the job market is or most likely will be after they got their degree. This seems really obvious but apparently most students don't do this.
If the job market is good and there is a demand a college degree but lack of experience will get you a job anyway.

Posted Image

#9 Karen J

Karen J

~

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Locationthe unmentionable state

Posted June 13 2016 - 05:30 AM

People should check in advance how the job market is or most likely will be after they got their degree.

The current job market is bad for almost every specialty.  Employers currently don't need anyone coming out of college right now.  We can fill every opening with experienced people.  And it's been that way for several years.

Nobody has a plan for young graduates.  Nobody is looking out for their interests.

• IRQ42 and secret_thinker like this
Life is short. Try to spend most of it on the good stuff.

#10 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,489 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted June 13 2016 - 07:45 AM

Here it is different but young people still go for the wrong professions/study if they want work in that direction after they got their degree. Too many 'communication' students for example and also the tourist industry is very popular.
Often it also differs per area, its not the same in the whole country. In my area of the Netherlands there's a shortage of painters at the moment but not in most other areas. The same probably counts for your country.

Posted Image

Click to shop at Zamnesia