2 replies to this topic

#1 CutieDerp

CutieDerp

Grand Poobah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted January 07 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'm about to embark on my first journey to care for another living creature: Bonsai growing! I've been doing a great deal of research but nothing seems to really define what is for beginners and what is too advanced. So I'd rather ask people whom have had experience with it.

How did you start? What mistakes did you make along the way? Where would you recommend someone start?

I plan on starting with a juvenile juniper tree and the goal is to grow it into the style Sekijoju, or root over rock. Is this too lofty a goal for a beginner? What tips can you offer on trimming and shaping the tree? And what other tips can you offer in general care of the tree?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,811 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted January 07 2015 - 04:18 PM

Root over rock would be okay for a beginner... It's going to be several years before the roots and rock are exposed and at that point you would no longer be a beginner. (if you get my drift... don't rush things)

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#3 glorybonilla

glorybonilla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 06 2016 - 11:01 PM

Yeah!! I agree with tyrsonswood.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bonsai, tips, trimming, care, advice

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds