• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted November 22 2014 - 04:55 AM

What are some good ideas to get donations to a non-profit.

I will have a website and all the social media stuff.

Other than that, I am just renting out venues for fundraising events.

Can anyone think of any other ideas besides that?

• Evabeavaibe likes this

#2 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 39,059 posts

Posted November 22 2014 - 12:27 PM

the best way to get donations is to ask.

#3 RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted November 22 2014 - 01:51 PM

Ya think?

#4 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 39,059 posts

Posted November 22 2014 - 02:10 PM

yeah, i know actually.  i work for a non-profit, and we get by on a lot of donations.  by far the most effective method is to go out, make personal connections, and ask people face-to-face for money.

#5 RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 07:19 AM

Like on the sidewalk? That is considered panhandling, though, and could get you put in jail in many places.

I have a Solicitation of Contributions license is Florida.

What do you mean, ask face-to-face? Where?

#6 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 39,059 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 08:49 AM

well, it depends on what the purpose of your non-profit is.  like where i work, the cause is bettering the local community, so we get involved in various community organizations and ask people there.  like a big one is rotary club, because they have the same basic purpose and most of the members are business owners who can afford to give a little back.

if you're raising money for say cancer research or something, you should probably get involved in some healthcare related groups, or maybe a senior center or something where people have a personal interest in your cause.

#7 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 09:29 AM

There are a lot of things you can do. What is the purpose of the non-profit?

#8 RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 05:07 PM

Spinal cord injuries. We give money to stem cell research. We WERE going to give money to actual patients, but I found that the patients didn't actually want our help.

And when I say "we," I mean me.

#9 RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 05:08 PM

well, it depends on what the purpose of your non-profit is.  like where i work, the cause is bettering the local community, so we get involved in various community organizations and ask people there.  like a big one is rotary club, because they have the same basic purpose and most of the members are business owners who can afford to give a little back.

if you're raising money for say cancer research or something, you should probably get involved in some healthcare related groups, or maybe a senior center or something where people have a personal interest in your cause.

So how do I contact these people?

#10 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 05:26 PM

So how do I contact these people?

You have to be involved in the community and network. That's how you get to know who's who. You don't want to just focus on your project either. You want to show a willingness to be involved with other projects as well. Start volunteering your time for other causes and you may find that many of the same faces are involved in different causes. Those are the people you want to know and show that you're willing to help. From there....you have to have a plan. Not just an idea but an actual plan...on paper with numbers and goals. Why do you want to do this? Who and how many people will it help? Is there also a mutual benefit for the community in general? Exactly how much money do you need and how will it be spent? You don't have to show this to every person that you talk to but you need it in your back pocket for when you do need to pull it out. You can also apply for grants but you will definitely have to provide details in your grant proposal. 

Edit to say...if you just want to know how to contact people in charge of various organizations so you can get involved....just pick up the phone. Call the local chamber of commerce, call the local hospital and ask if they have a foundation, etc. Lot's of people could use your help.

Edited again.....you don't even have to say anything that isn't 100% true. You can say "I'd like to get involved in the community and help where I can so I'm looking for opportunities to do that. Do you have any suggestions on who might be able to use more help?" Eventually, you will meet the people you need to know for your own project. But don't lay that on them for a while. Get to know people and get to be known a little before you float that out there.

Edited by Wizardofodd, November 23 2014 - 05:36 PM.