Why Is Art Important?

Discussion in 'Art' started by RichardTheFrog, Nov 16, 2014.

1. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Why is anything important?

1 person likes this.
  2. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

If you dont fart you can develop serious complications due to gastric pressure

1 person likes this.
  3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

If you really understand the mysteries and wonders in the arena of science, then you would understand there is no difference between science and art.
    true science is art.

Richard it seems you like/need to pigeon-hole things into very specific strata, like a cd, but the world is analog my friend, like vinyl.

4. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

I know all scientific facts. And if I don't memorize them, I have the materials available for reference.

5. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Is art the best though?

Is a Rembrandt painting "better" than an image taken from the Hubble Space Telescope showing galaxies that are billions of light-years away?

I would say the Space Telescope is a more impressive achievement, because I can remember people in art class painting things that are not too much different from Rembrandt's, and the teacher especially.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well Rembrandt painted in his own style many centuries ago. Although copying a style to perfection can be impressive too it's rarely seen as art in the same way as the paintings of the originator. Art from centuries ago often gives insight in how and why people thought and lived like they did. When I see some of your questions it seems that art like Rembrandt's could be very valuable to you.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

8. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Frontier motherfuckers leaving footprints of their mind.

It's not the art that's important, it's the progression of consciousness. Although, there is the possibility of an emotional relationship to a piece. That's raw beauty :D Beauty, beauty, beauty.. what an existential wormhole.

I find it interesting though, Pollock's work is great because it's fractal in nature. It may look like random shit, but there's something more in it.

http://discovermagazine.com/2001/nov/featpollock

Also, in van Gogh's "Starry Night", he managed to capture the essence of Turbulent Flow.

http://youtu.be/PMerSm2ToFY

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Stop trying to set science and art up in a competition that doesn't exist.

You need to read up on the life and work of Leonardo da Vinci, who was one of the first great thinkers to show equal interest and aptitude in both science and art. He didn't choose between them or consider one to be better or more important. Try to understand his point of view.

The best way to learn about art is to immerse yourself in the highest quality art of all kinds, and see if any of it speaks to you. The best place I can think of to do this is the Smithsonian Museum in Washington. Every major genre of art has its own building. It should take about three days to cover them all, without hurrying. Go with an open mind. Find out which works you are drawn to, and try to figure out what the artist is trying to communicate. Keep in mind that these people think on a very high level. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in the Smithsonian.

If nothing else works for you, you can at least marvel at the level of talent displayed. For example, viewed up close, the paintings of Claude Monet look like amateurish blobs of paint, almost like something a child would do. Take a few steps back, and they are better than photographs. Only a genius could do something like that, or even have a desire to do so. It's an amazing display of the potential power of the human mind.

Many works of contemporary (modern) art are based on optical illusions and principles of physical science and geometry. Any science guy should be able to get something out of them.

1 person likes this.
  10. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

I've been to the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida. The painting, especially the murals, are amazing. I could never even hope to do something like that.

But I still think the Large Hadron Collider is a more impressive achievement, and more useful.

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I love his work!

You're doing it again. [​IMG] Where did you get this idea that we have to choose between art and science? It's fucked up.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

OP is fucked up...

1 person likes this.
  13. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

sculptures = ancient Greeks, Michelangelo,

paintings = Rembrandt, Dali, Picasso,

architectural marvels = the pyramids, Gothic cathedrals, Russian domed cathedrals, the Eiffel Tower, modern skyscrapers

It's all great, but I think figuring out the DNA molecule atom-by-atom is so much more impressive.

14. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Obviously, art is a very important aspect of human expression.

The meaning of a poem? Even when it's written by an individual, it's open to interpretation, so the reader interprets it and applies it to their own life- just like any other piece of art.

15. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Or maybe it means nothing and people just stare at it looking for meaning.

16. RainyDayHype

You really capture the essence of another troll that has posted here before.

3 people like this.
  17. RainyDayHype

If you're not the same troll, it's probably just that all trolls are the same.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Same troll

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

ignore it and maybe it will go away

20. RichardTheFrog

RichardTheFrog Newbie

Maybe I would just be better off on an anthropology forum, science forum, etc.