Mercy In The Meat Industry?

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Jimbee68, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

My mother was a unique individual. I couldn't have possibly had a better mother. And I was fascinated too by the life she lead.

She once told me she single-handedly was responsible for the fact that they had to stun animals before they processed them for meat. I told her surely it wasn't you alone who did this. But she said, yes, with a personal letter-writing campaign, she was responsible for it.

Anyways, that is the segué to my next question: Do they still have to stun animals before they process them for meat?

FYI, I consider myself a vegetarian in principle, but a meat eater in actual practice. I'm sorry if that offends some of you. But at the present time, I live on a fixed income. And because of a medical condition, I need a diet high in fiber and high in protein. There simply is no viable/economical alternative at the present time. (BTW, my mother for her part belonged to PETA, but served us meat every day. So she was in a way a lot like me on the topic.)

And I want to end on the following note: Vegans and vegetarians, look to the future! Meat production is not very cost effective. Most of the money the industry spends ends up in the waste. Some day, we may have no choice but to give up meat. Actually, a good alternative may be cloned animal meat, grown on a petri dish. No brain, no pain, no problem--no?

This is at least my humble opinion. And back to my question: Is there ANY "mercy" today, in the meat industry?

:daisy: :alien: :daisy:

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

as with anything it's a profit obsessed industry. most of the reason conditions are so poor is because of this reason, they try to squeeze as much profit as they can then turn around and again rape the consumers. some animals aren't even given enough room to turn around or lay down in their pens :yikes:

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah I've seen pictures of pigs where like the cage was built around them so they couldn't move they could only stand and eat. Kinda messed up.

Bilby likes this.
  4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Most people point to the supposedly "humane" methods that are used in big farming practices (and small ones too!). Stun guns, bludgeoning, quick deaths. I think "humane slaughter" is an oxymoron. Even if there was such a thing as humane slaughter, I don't think it is widely practiced--in reality. I don't believe that the meat industry cares about the well being of animals, but I think they care about profits. If 2% of people will buy more meat if they feel like it was treated well, then the industry will do what it can to increase consumption.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think people probably think too much about it. I mean it's sad and all but I dunno, I'm not going to let how my food is processed weigh in and drag my life down there's just so much more important issues to tend to. -shrug- unless humans can sustain a healthy life on pills and greens I don't think it's going to get any better I mean what are they going to do? We need meat, we need to slaughter an animal. Like we've always done. -shrug-