What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I love, love, love playing GD music. I used to be in a GD cover band and we always had a lot of fun with our own takes on those songs. And....as I mentioned earlier in this thread...that was my band's musical "costume" for Halloween. The guy booking the show was like "Oh yeah...and you guys have to be the Dead that night". We thought "Ok...cool....we can do that. Good thing he didn't say String Cheese Incident!" (or someone else who we don't know how to play much) But yeah...the jamming is my favorite part of those songs. You can do it however you want. I always say that Jerry would say "Nothing wrong with it....it's just a different way to play it" :)

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Love the Grateful Dead. I think they hated me take spotlight too, I was always pulling out the bobby weir tunes. I can do a 20min sunshine daydream or the other one jam. They would get mad playing Stella Blue. saying it was to sad. I mean come on. My other band was really good, however they were much older than me and quick to retire when I thought we was prime. But our playing spot closed to never reopen again. A bowling alley with bar attached. sometimes we played in the noisy alley in the back and other times inside the bar area. Either way you couldnt hear the awfulness of our experimental sound over the noise. They were much more into spacey pink floyd like jams out of chicago 25 or 6 24, people loved that song..

Most recently Ive been playing Foo Fighters. I just like the trashy guitar, and some those are pretty simply like Everlong, Hero.

3. Wizardofodd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbzCTggD80

Pretty much dedicated the rest my day to learning this today. I'm up to Slipknot so far. I already know Franklin's Tower. Not planning on messing around with TMNS right now. But as my dog as my witness...I will slay this beast before I lay my head to rest tonight. And then it will so freaking cool to jam it out with the band before going on stage some time and completely fucking it up the first time. :)

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

something l loved fooling with was "king solomons marbles" out of "this is for the other ones" or "franklins tower" "stronger than dirt " has the solomon scales too, I believe its Mixolydian mode..

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sort of a "learning"...

I remembered a forgotten song I wrote and first performed at a Renne Faire about 15 years ago. Couldn't even remember it in my head and had no recordings. I wrote it the night before the performance, and it just flowed out. Sounded great that next night thorugh the PA. Shortly after that it was forgotten in a backlog of other ideas. Tonight "The Dwarf's Dance" just flowed right out like it was yesterday. It's a quirky little alternate tuning number with Faux Renne overtones and Jazzy timing. It has no Genre... actually.

so Re-Learning.

( I don't really know any songs other than those I've written.)

1 person likes this.
  6. Wizardofodd

It's kind of funny how that happens. I'll be playing something that reminds me something I played years ago but in my case, I usually wish it remained a lost memory. :) Every once in a while I think of something kind of cool that I played before. But don't be shy. Post some material! I'd like to hear it.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Haven't been recording, gear isn't setup for that yet.

1 person likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI8DaU29R4Q
    had to much to drink for the 100th time.

1 person likes this.
  9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Been working on Go Tell Aunt Rhody for about 40 years...almost have it down pat now (just the first verses or so).

10. Wizardofodd

I learned how to play 3 Is A Magic Number tonight. Pretty easy. A couple of my band mates want to play it at a show tomorrow night. They asked me if I grew up under a rock because I had no idea what song they were talking about. I guess maybe I did...but whatever...we'll play it.

1 person likes this.
  11. deleted

deleted Visitor

i need tp play more sober ..

1 person likes this.
  12. Wizardofodd

When I was younger I used to be a little more nervous about playing shows and I think I drank more before and during the set. Now days I don't drink nearly as much on those nights. I might only drink 1 or 2 beers all night. My playing is more precise. I remember plenty of shows way back when where my speed and coordination just weren't very tight toward the second half of the night. I would be pissed at myself because of it.

13. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Rubys Hammer. I just got the condenser mics set up for vocals. Now if I can find a quiet night I'm pretty sure I can get the rhythm guitar and lead vocals down in a few tries.---still not close to 100% on this new software but I'm feeling it's worth the effort.

Next song I want to record is Black Magic Woman but I'd like a female vocalist for that. Then Riders on the Storm with male and female vocalist.

Then I'm gona have to go trolling for songs worth writing.

It's been 20 years since I drank or smoked anything I wasn't told to do so by my doctor. I never would have agreed with this for the first 13 or 15 years I was playing. I have terrible stage fright and always have. But I can lose myself in the music these days, when I was using..well most musicians I know have been here.

14. Wizardofodd

Tonight, we worked on a bunch of new stuff and old stuff that we haven't played forever. New original stuff that I don't think is really named yet. Also brushed up on Bananas And Blow and another song by Ween. A couple of Phish songs. The Wheel and Going Down The Road Feeling Bad by Grateful Dead. Just figured those out on the fly and I happened to remember the riff on GDTRFB. That was cool. We did And We Bid You Goodnight (a cappella). Oh yeah....and we did Tennessee Jed. The other guitar player and I already basically knew it and had our guitar and vocal parts worked out a few years ago on our own. We just never broke it out with the band before. Heavy on GD tonight.

15. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

The meow mix song = Ionian + chromatic scales

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin in it's entirety. Have known the riff for awhilr but learned the solo.

I never really schedule songs to learn in a very structured way but perhaps...

Time- Pink Floyd
    or songs by Portugal the Man

17. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I'm currently working on my adaptation for trumpet, from an adaptation (lol) for violin by Zoltan Szecely, of the final song "Mărunțel" in a song cycle "Romainian Folk Dances" originally written by Bela Bartok. Whew!

2 people like this.
  18. Wizardofodd

I had to google that but it would probably be pretty cool if you can pull it off!

1 person likes this.
  19. Gongshaman

I've pretty much got I, II, IV, and V down.
    "Pe Loc" the third song is giving me fits too. It's played with false harmonics on the violin and has some really broad slurs I'm not sure I can do on trumpet, and certainly not that high. It's one of my favorites though so I'll figure something out. and that last piece is mad fast and full of odd accents, quintuplets and slick little runs. LOL thats why the adaptation part. I'll send you a sample when I get something recorded.

20. Gongshaman

Oh and thanks for looking it up, BTW. :)