Click to shop at FS Books
Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:53 PM

Kind of a spin off the other thread. 

I've been working on a number of different things lately but today I figured out High & Dry by Radiohead. Pretty easy song (3 chord wonder) but I'm going to kind of mix it up and do it in my own style vocally. 

What about you guys? What did you just nail down? What's on the agenda?

• poffeeste and notrick like this

#2 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:44 PM

I've been working on vocals for an original tune of mine and for Roger fishers "Love alive" A little tricky singing and playing the line in to the chorus.

For guitar I've been dabbling at Jeff Becks " Goodbye pork pie hat/ brush with the blues"

His style is practically inimitable, but I'd like to at least tip my hat to him if I can in a few places.

#3 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 12:22 PM

I've been working on vocals for an original tune of mine and for Roger fishers "Love alive" A little tricky singing and playing the line in to the chorus.

For guitar I've been dabbling at Jeff Becks " Goodbye pork pie hat/ brush with the blues"

His style is practically inimitable, but I'd like to at least tip my hat to him if I can in a few places.

Nice. Just listened to both of those songs. I see what you mean about the line into the chorus on Love Alive. 

#4 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 05:37 PM

I see what you mean about the line into the chorus on Love Alive. 

It's like, if I think about guitar part too much, I trip up... but sometimes if I just stay right on the vocal and play the guitar part almost subconsciously, I can pull it off. More practice, lol

#5 Elodin

Elodin

Elongated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 04:29 PM

Eyes of the World by the good ol' Grateful Dead. No idea what's next. Probably whatever catches my fancy as I'm listening to music later this evening. Which will probably make it either a Black Crowes or Grateful Dead tune. Maybe I'll teach myself the chords to Evergreen finally

• orison likes this

#6 neodude1212

neodude1212

• PipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 05:43 AM

Most recent thing I learned is the piano part of the first and second movement of Mendelssohn's Violin Sonata in F minor.

I wish I knew a violinist to play it with.

As for what's on the agenda, I think I'll quit piano and return to guitar.

There's something about the piano that's just not suited to my personality. It's a very beautiful instrument but I can really only play in public on campus since I don't own one at home, and it's very difficult for me to do in that setting. There's something embarrassing to me about being expressive in public, and piano is really a showman's instrument. The very size of the piano is a testament to that. To truly command it requires a personality more outward than my own.

To me guitar is much more intimate and is more in tune with the natural state of my soul. I'd like to just sit on the couch and plink away for a few hours. I used to play steel-string guitar and got bored with it, but now I'm developing an interest in flamenco style guitar playing, specifically dances.

Edited by neodude1212, September 04 2014 - 05:47 AM.

• HipChris and Zione like this

#7 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,063 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:09 AM

^

makes sense to me.

• Delfynasa likes this

#8 HipChris

HipChris

Assistant to the Creator

• Administrators
  • 3,386 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:15 AM

Pianos are amazing... wish I had one myself!

Something about sitting there playing the keyboard and getting into that groove with the sound, it's a great thing.

I'm pretty impressed you can read and play that sheet music from Felix M. neodude! Don't stop playing!

#9 neodude1212

neodude1212

• PipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:34 AM

If you are really looking to be impressed, you should know that Mendelssohn composed that piece when he was 13 years old.

So, it's literally child's play for him. Unfortunately not for me.

#10 Zione

Zione

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:47 AM

Have you thought of getting a keyboard, Neo? I like your above post, it is quite poetic :)

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds