My deck garden is up and booming!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama

• PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 03:09 PM

Am I allowed to share a link to my own blog? Don't want to get in trouble, but... yeah, that'd be quickest.

I garden on an 8'x16' deck. NOT your typical 2-3 pots of herbs and a hanging tomato, but a full vegetable garden. Well, full enough... I've got two teens here!

Anyway, here's how I arranged my deck this year:

Posted Image

And actual photos of everything in-place and doing well are here: http://mamahousemous...-gardening.html

#2 expanse

expanse

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted June 18 2014 - 03:21 PM

I used to have mostly pepper plants in containers on a deck at my previous house. I liked sitting with all of the green around me. I couldn't even imagine how nice it would be with your setup. I hope you are allowed to leave the link to your blog.

#3 Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd

• PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 03:56 PM

Nice. Well done.

#4 sandal_dune

sandal_dune

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 04:37 PM

Great job!

#5 homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama

• PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 02:35 PM

I just updated my garden photos HERE.

Someone stole a set of my bamboo support poles overnight, but everything else is doing so well! It's amazing to look at these photos & the ones I posted yesterday, and realize it's only been three weeks!

Don't suppose any of the long-time gardeners on here have any suggestions for my peppers? They're hot peppers, and they're yellowing because of historic rainfall. Do they just need drying out a bit, or is there an organic amendment I could help them with as well?

#6 Aerianne

Aerianne

Crazy Cat Lady

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,701 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Out There

Posted June 20 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yes, you can post a link to your blog. That's fine. :)

#7 homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama

• PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 02:44 PM

Woohoo! Thank you, Aerianne! I've not been on much lately, and couldn't remember for sure. But I THOUGHT I remembered that it was okay!

#8 Aerianne

Aerianne

Crazy Cat Lady

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,701 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Out There

Posted June 20 2014 - 02:46 PM

Woohoo! Thank you, Aerianne! I've not been on much lately, and couldn't remember for sure. But I THOUGHT I remembered that it was okay!

Yes. Things that aren't competition with HFs are okay for our members in good standing to post.

#9 homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama

• PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:25 AM

Another update post! Here's how things look this morning.
Posted Image
NorthEast corner: marigolds & alyssum are going crazy.

Most of my herbs are growing nicely. The basil & oregano was wonderful in our lasagna soup the other day. My lemonbalm is growing so fast I'm having a hard time keeping up with it! And the pumpkins in the back are blossoming finally!

Posted Image
My corner of shame is still living down to that nickname. Peppers are pitiful, melons are puny, and my lettuce DIED! See if I ever buy seed-tape again! It was a trial this year, but YUCK!

Posted Image
Tomatoes! Those bamboo poles are 6' high, so you can see for yourself how well they're doing. I counted over 2 dozen blossoms, and at least that many actual tomatoes as well!

#10 homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama

• PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:28 AM

Posted Image
My beans... what you can't see, is my husband ran a line from the top of this 8' tall bamboo tipi to the top of the cucumber one for the beans to run on, and there's a vine halfway to the cukes already!

Posted Image
Carrots, second harvest. I had to move my chocolate mint out of this corner because it wasn't getting enough light. But my carrots are looking lovely!

Posted Image
Last photo: Cucumbers & chives. I have NEVER seen my cukes grow quite like this before! Oh, am I excited about these!

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop