Click to shop at FS Books
Photo
- - - - -

Validity and Acceptance of the 'Zoo Hypothesis'.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbee68

Jimbee68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 02:37 PM

I was just wondering how valid--and how widely accepted--is the Zoo Hypothesis, when it comes to the the Fermi Paradox. Here is a wiki link to the Zoo Hypothesis: http://en.wikipedia..../Zoo_hypothesis Here is the one to the Fermi Paradox: http://en.wikipedia....i/Fermi_paradox.

As you can plainly see (or read, as the case may be), the Fermi Paradox seeks to reconcile the fact that there likely are highly advanced aliens in the universe, and yet they choose not to contact us. And the Zoo Hypothesis (which sort of reads like the Prime Directive of the fictional Star Trek universe) seeks to provide one answer to the paradox.

And I place this question in The Future, because I wonder if for this reason, alien won't indeed contact us in the future. (And sorry, UFO enthusiasts, I don't believe UFO have already contacted us:)!)

:love:

#2 BeachBall

BeachBall

Nosey old moo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 09:59 AM

I don't see that the zoo paradox is a paradox at all.

Suppose our scientists were able to prove that there is an alien race on a planet orbiting a sun 65 light years distant with the intelligence, culture and communication skills of a hedgehog out there ... would you think there was any point in expending effort on trying to "contact" them?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't give a damn whether or not people agree with my chosen lifestyle, because I don't recall asking for their permission

this really requires a more in-depth answer than i'm willing to type right now.

#3 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,927 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted June 19 2014 - 08:42 AM

i know hypothetically that if i were a voting member of some kind of galactic united nations, i'd be really cautious about making any kind of open contact with a world at earth's current stage of social and moral development.

off the record, and if past lives count, i don't have to be hypothetical about it at all.

IF we truly have NOT been observed, then i rather suspect the speed of light might have something to do with it. that is, if it is actually the limit of anything other then how fast being able to see anything gets from one place to another.

there's a lot that 'remains to be seen', pun or no pun, about all of that.

personally i suspect we've been under clandestine observation for centuries, even thousands of years, without being openly contacted; and really, what humans seem to believe about their own species, is a very good reason for not yet establishing relationships.

i don't think we're regarded so much as sub-sapient as somewhat deranged, mentally and morally unstable and thus dangerous.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

#4 TheGhost

TheGhost

Auuhhhhmm ...

• PipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationCan't get there from here

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:02 AM

If I were an alien I wouldn't contact us.

This place is scary as shit. And to them it's gotta be ass backwards
We're all foreigners .... almost everywhere.

#5 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,927 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 01:26 AM

precisely. but you know what? we CAN un-assbackwards ourselves. very likely to survive ourselves, our future will depend on our doing so.

when a person starts acting decent, they may find they have friends. the same may be true of our species and our world.

=^^=
.../\...

#6 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,927 posts

Posted September 04 2015 - 12:48 AM

other then idle curiosity, and probably very expensive idle curiousity, "oh look, another planet in its solar system's goldy locks zone, it might have sapeint life, lets go look", why WOULD anyone who could get here, pick our earth, over any other planet in any other star's solar system's goldylocks zone, other then by pure random chance?

Edited by themnax, September 04 2015 - 12:48 AM.

=^^=
.../\...

#7 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 17 2015 - 07:44 AM

other then idle curiosity, and probably very expensive idle curiousity, "oh look, another planet in its solar system's goldy locks zone, it might have sapeint life, lets go look", why WOULD anyone who could get here, pick our earth, over any other planet in any other star's solar system's goldylocks zone, other then by pure random chance?

Practical Reasons I can think of off the top of my head would include proximity, resources, and temperature/climate. There could probably be numerous other reasons as well.

Edited by guerillabedlam, September 17 2015 - 07:45 AM.

3i6eiPI.png?

#8 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,927 posts

Posted September 18 2015 - 11:54 PM

Practical Reasons I can think of off the top of my head would include proximity, resources, and temperature/climate. There could probably be numerous other reasons as well.

those would all be reasons to pick someplace closer to THEIR world then ours.

=^^=
.../\...

#9 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 19 2015 - 02:20 AM

those would all be reasons to pick someplace closer to THEIR world then ours.

Lol what? What are you smoking themnax?

3i6eiPI.png?

#10 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,927 posts

Posted September 19 2015 - 02:31 AM

what are you?  why people from someplace else, would or would not come here, WAS the TOPIC. 

=^^=
.../\...

Click to shop at Zamnesia