Media Manipulation

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Dude111, May 8, 2014.

1. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

The bias and manipulation isn't necessarily about the content of the stories they actually report. It's a lot about the stories they don't report, or are prevented from reporting. News reporters generally only submit stories they are assigned, those are approved or not approved by the editor. The editor has control over which stories and how they get reported. The editor can also be influenced by powerful outside entity's as to which news stories are reported, and /or how they are presented.

1 person likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's so true, the media is full of lies. Weatherman never correct.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Well, that's because they can't figure out what the fug is going on....

4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i think the time has come to even doubt our own eyes..... :D

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Only job in the world you can fuck up all every single day and still get paid to come back tomorrow. :D

1 person likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

They could just say "tomorrow there will be weather.... somewhere"

7. Moonglow181

and ears....

8. Moonglow181

that was not thunder I just heard....

that was someone farting on the other side of the world.

9. Tyrsonswood

I do not want to know what they're eating... Damn.

10. Gongshaman

Well this thread's certainly turned 'Beavis and Butthead' quickly lol

[​IMG]

11. Moonglow181

My point was that not everything is media manipulation...NOT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

I know the anchormen who genuinely believe what they are reporting are th facts and the ones with agendas...That is what my brain is for...to sift through and figure out what is hype, manipulation, and fact......again a blanket statement that it is all manipulation when it is not.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gongshaman

Most of it is I'm afraid. Just as an illistration, when my brother went to journalist school one of the first assignments was to make up a news caption for a random photograph then write a story from just that. You see, every story must have it's 'slant'.

Nearly all media today are profit motivated, the news isn't a public service you know. If a story doesn't have the proper slant that fits the media outlets image, they risk losing advertisers and revenue.

Often, as I stated earlier, the manipulation comes in the form of self-censorship by the media outlet itself.

http://www.people-press.org/2000/04/30/self-censorship-how-often-and-why/

"Self-censorship is commonplace in the news media today, according to a survey of nearly 300 journalists and news executives by the Pew Research Center and the Columbia Journalism Review. About one-quarter of the local and national journalists say they have purposely avoided newsworthy stories, while nearly as many acknowledge they have softened the tone of stories to benefit the interests of their news organizations. Fully four-in-ten (41%) admit they have engaged in either or both of these practices.

The poll of 206 reporters and 81 news executives — 150 from local news outlets and 137 from national news organizations —
    found widespread concern over commercial and competitive pressures.
    As a result of these pressures, say journalists, good stories all too frequently are not pursued." (bold added Theprodu)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You post it as if Beavis and Butthead are a bad thing.

3 people like this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ah man!!

15. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

I can't say I ever pay attention. there is too much going on elsewhere. [​IMG]

16. Fynjy

Fynjy Members

Let's discuss the most interesting topic on the news?

17. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Like how the senate approves gay marriages to take the pressure of of all the other domestic problems like mass killings and police assassinations, no jobs, Benghazi, Shillery Clinton, Economic collapse, WAR, Obama.

AND

International issues like ISIS, Iran Nucs, the 300 school children that the world has forgotten about (boko Harem) Chinese land disputes that will lead us to a global standoff considering that they own 10% of the American Debt., Russia slowly stockpiling Armies along Ukraine border, Greece telling the IMF to F.Off

The most interesting topics are the ones that get covered over for less news worthy stuff like gay marriage, Confederate flag ( by the way, the Flag has not done anything to anyone just people using it as cover for their stupidity) Kardashians, Hollywood or who has posed nude on twitter this week

but hey, fly the rainbow flag, it covers everything that you want to cover up, for awhile anyway, enough to regroup and reissue statements before people start to remember what they have quickly forgotten

Marry whomever you like but it doesn't need to be headline/frontpage news

18. Metal Groomp

Metal Groomp Members

I don't even watch the news at all. I can't tell what's fake or real and they twist stories to meet their agenda. It's hard to know what's real anymore in this day and age.

1 person likes this.
  19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Movie-THEY LIVE, is a decent metaphor on how to view the news, IMO. There's ALWAYS something behind the 'curtain.'

20. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The U.S. has a "Christian" government. All but two or three claim to be "Christian". Their "beliefs" dictate the direction they are taking us in. Their bible says that in the last days (which most think we are in), there will be the unholy trinity....the BEAST will enslave the world(national debt). The FALSE PROPHET will fool everyone into following the BEAST into Armageddon(the media fooled the whole world into following the BEAST into the IRAQ war). And the BEAST will fool the world into following the Antichrist down to perdition.

Looks like there's lots of "christians" ready to follow Trump and the GOP into WWIII.