• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 odonII

odonII

O

• PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 08:46 PM

Can anybody explain how financial implications can affect your organisation’s offer and customer service expectation? And give a couple of examples of when customer service may be limited by organisational goals? Thanks.
(I have one e.g involving technological advances / changes in technology.)
  • JoyceJens, Merlinordep, CurtisMant and 1 other like this

#2 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 09:30 PM

Say what?

This is like a dream come true... Rollin and ruby back in chat together! Better than the spice girls reunion~Asfandyar13

#3 odonII

odonII

O

• PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:05 PM

Say what?

It's an online course I'm doing, and they are a couple of questions I'm stuck on. The course material does not really explain. I was hoping to drop it here this morning, and have something to help me along by this evening.
I have a feeling ^ will be what most people will be thinking (Or: Good luck with that.)

#4 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:08 PM

yeah, good luck with that ;) haha. I'm a dumb hairstylist. I don't understand big words. hahaha. I just use chemistry to make things pretty.

This is like a dream come true... Rollin and ruby back in chat together! Better than the spice girls reunion~Asfandyar13

#5 odonII

odonII

O

• PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:09 PM

yeah, good luck with that ;) haha. I'm a dumb hairstylist. I don't understand big words. hahaha. I just use chemistry to make things pretty.

Even hairstylists need to know the fundamentals of good customer service.
Is it your own business?

#6 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yes. I own my own business. I think I have good customer service. I must. There are some people I've had as clients since I started 15 years ago. So tell me how that applies and I'll see if I can help.

#7 odonII

odonII

O

• PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:21 PM

In commercial organisations the service offer is partly or largely determined by the price that is being charged and by the service offer of competitors. A unique service offer is one that differentiates the offer that an organisation is making from that of its competitors or comparable organisations.

The service offer is something over and above what an organisation will do for you.

It is about knowing the service offer and the details of it – what is says in the small print.

Some examples:

If you return the goods, you can get your money back (some organisations may have stipulations around this – for example to be returned within a number of days)
a bank says that if you switch your credit cards to us you get % interest for 6 months. An existing customer moves all their credit cards to this bank and then on their 1st bill they find out that its only for new customers and you are an existing one so you don't get % interest
we will get back to you in 24 hours

Customer expectations are what people think should happen and how they think they should be treated when asking for or receiving customer service.

Expectations are formed by:

- what people hear and see
- what they read and what the organisation tells them
- what happens during the customer experience
- what has happened to them in other customer service experiences.

Generally customer expectations rise and organisations try to match that rise through continuous improvement in customer service.

This is what the course material has to offer (sorry :P)

While most organisations will strive to provide good, if not great, customer service, they often find that some of the promises in their charters, manifestos or service agreements are the very things that limit them (on occasion) from delivering that customer service.

Technological advances may be one example of how an organisation’s goals may limit customer service provision.

For example, changes in technology may mean that it is more economical for an organisation to ask customers to switch to a more efficient or newer type of technology (such as broadband) but this may come at a cost (for example, a high line rental or outlay) on the customer’s part.

Costs

Any service offer must have costs at the forefront of its mind. For example, if an organisation’s service offer allows customers to return goods that are faulty or not fit for purpose within two weeks of purchasing them, this would be honoured under UK law.

However, if the customer simply decided against purchasing them, they would not be entitled to a refund. Many organisations would provide a credit note to the value of the purchase, so the customer would be able to buy something they liked.

It may make economic sense for the organisation to do this but for its customers it may mean paying for new technology that they don’t want or understand.

Organisational goals can limit customer service

#8 odonII

odonII

O

• PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:23 PM

Yes. I own my own business. I think I have good customer service. I must. There are some people I've had as clients since I started 15 years ago..

Sorry, I was just joking. I was being a bit cheeky there :blush5:

#9 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted November 25 2013 - 01:01 AM

In commercial organisations the service offer is partly or largely determined by the price that is being charged and by the service offer of competitors. A unique service offer is one that differentiates the offer that an organisation is making from that of its competitors or comparable organisations.

The service offer is something over and above what an organisation will do for you.

It is about knowing the service offer and the details of it – what is says in the small print.

Some examples:

If you return the goods, you can get your money back (some organisations may have stipulations around this – for example to be returned within a number of days)
a bank says that if you switch your credit cards to us you get % interest for 6 months. An existing customer moves all their credit cards to this bank and then on their 1st bill they find out that its only for new customers and you are an existing one so you don't get % interest
we will get back to you in 24 hours

Customer expectations are what people think should happen and how they think they should be treated when asking for or receiving customer service.

Expectations are formed by:

- what people hear and see
- what they read and what the organisation tells them
- what happens during the customer experience
- what has happened to them in other customer service experiences.

Generally customer expectations rise and organisations try to match that rise through continuous improvement in customer service.

This is what the course material has to offer (sorry :P)

While most organisations will strive to provide good, if not great, customer service, they often find that some of the promises in their charters, manifestos or service agreements are the very things that limit them (on occasion) from delivering that customer service.

Technological advances may be one example of how an organisation’s goals may limit customer service provision.

For example, changes in technology may mean that it is more economical for an organisation to ask customers to switch to a more efficient or newer type of technology (such as broadband) but this may come at a cost (for example, a high line rental or outlay) on the customer’s part.

Costs

Any service offer must have costs at the forefront of its mind. For example, if an organisation’s service offer allows customers to return goods that are faulty or not fit for purpose within two weeks of purchasing them, this would be honoured under UK law.

However, if the customer simply decided against purchasing them, they would not be entitled to a refund. Many organisations would provide a credit note to the value of the purchase, so the customer would be able to buy something they liked.

It may make economic sense for the organisation to do this but for its customers it may mean paying for new technology that they don’t want or understand.

Organisational goals can limit customer service

This is EXACTLY why I didn't go to college. I can't focus on stuff like that. I seriously read the first line 4 times before I could even begin to think about what it means. I'm a visual person, hence my job. If I had to sit and read stuff like that all day and try to figure it out I would probably slit my wrists. Good job to you for choosing to do that. I'm just not made that way. I was terrible in school because I am pretty sure I have Attention Deficit Disorder. I get distracted too easily to read all of that and figure it out. I'll try again....Ok, I read it out loud so I understand what it means now. I just can't remember what you need help with. hahaha. Oh shit, its 3 am and my mind is gone.

#10 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted November 25 2013 - 01:22 AM

Sorry, I was just joking. I was being a bit cheeky there :blush5:

All of that does actually apply to my job. I charge for a service. I have competitors. I have to figure out what to do to make people come to me instead of someone else. I have to satisfy their needs or they will take their business elsewhere. If I do a service on someone and they call me when they get home and say they don't like it then I redo the service for free or offer them a refund. If they buy products from me and decide they don't like them they can exchange the product for something else or get a refund. If they call me 3 weeks after a service to complain I will fix it for a reduced price but not do it for free. Actually that depends on what the complaint is. My goal is to do what I have to do to make that customer happy. Thank God I don't have customers that complain. Haha. So you may have been giving me a hard time but I deal with exactly what you are talking about as a business owner. To there :P