Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop
Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else struggling with self-employment?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted November 05 2013 - 11:49 AM

It is nice going to the mail and finding a few hundred $$$ waiting there every few days. Just deposited $500 this morning from a couple days ago and just got another $365 today, with more coming in tomorrow. :D

Our business is tied to the school year and runs for a couple months at a shot, as such income goes up and down. Some months may bring in thousands, and we have had months were we brought in hundreds and a couple with 0 income.
But all in all it is nice working for yourself and no pre-employment piss test. :2thumbsup:
  • Merlinordep likes this
"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#12 Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

• PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted November 05 2013 - 02:28 PM

I quit my job and started my own business back in April of this year. I've been very successful, and actually have to turn people away. I do home daycare, which there is always a high demand for. I suppose your success will ultimately depends on if what you're selling is something people are interested in buying. Also, word of mouth will be your best form of advisement while being self employed. Be the best at what you do, and the rest will fall into place.

Hm, cool :)

I'm glad it worked so well for you! And you're right about ensuring that people are actually interested in what you're selling!

Do you enjoy your business? :)

It is nice going to the mail and finding a few hundred $$$ waiting there every few days. Just deposited $500 this morning from a couple days ago and just got another $365 today, with more coming in tomorrow. :D

Our business is tied to the school year and runs for a couple months at a shot, as such income goes up and down. Some months may bring in thousands, and we have had months were we brought in hundreds and a couple with 0 income.
But all in all it is nice working for yourself and no pre-employment piss test. :2thumbsup:

Wow cool... what do you do?

#13 *MAMA*

*MAMA*

Perfectly Imperfect

• PipPipPip
  • 6,405 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hm, cool :)

I'm glad it worked so well for you! And you're right about ensuring that people are actually interested in what you're selling!

Do you enjoy your business? :)

I love it! It's not always rainbows and butterflies, but I play with legos and build forts for a living. Can't beat that. ;)

#14 Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

• PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted November 05 2013 - 04:14 PM

I love it! It's not always rainbows and butterflies, but I play with legos and build forts for a living. Can't beat that. ;)

hm, actually that's quite true lol

#15 youfreeme

youfreeme

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 04:54 PM

I quit my job and started my own business back in April of this year. I've been very successful, and actually have to turn people away. I do home daycare, which there is always a high demand for. I suppose your success will ultimately depends on if what you're selling is something people are interested in buying. Also, word of mouth will be your best form of advisement while being self employed. Be the best at what you do, and the rest will fall into place.

I am wondering.

Was it hard to get started in this business? Do you have a college degree? What type of credentials do parents ask for (I feel like parents today are so hyper-competitive! They want their kids to learn Chinese in day care). Also, what sort of profit do you make, after expenses are accounted for (if you don't mind my asking).

Also, how many children you care for on a given day?

#16 *MAMA*

*MAMA*

Perfectly Imperfect

• PipPipPip
  • 6,405 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 05:34 PM

I am wondering.

Was it hard to get started in this business? Do you have a college degree? What type of credentials do parents ask for (I feel like parents today are so hyper-competitive! They want their kids to learn Chinese in day care). Also, what sort of profit do you make, after expenses are accounted for (if you don't mind my asking).

Also, how many children you care for on a given day?

It wasn't hard for me at all. I have an associate's degree from back when I was an x-ray med tech. I was actually in pharmacy for 7 years before deciding to start this. Above everything else, parents have told me they just want someone they feel comfortable leaving their kids with. I also do lots of activities, very little tv, and I make mostly organic healthy meals and snack from scratch. I also keep an immaculate house. I charge a flat rate of $500 a month for around the clock, m-f ( which is suuuuper cheap for childcare). Weekends are $40 per child, perday. I spend roughly $150 a month for food, milk, and things for activities.

I have a total of 7 kids enrolled, but I never have more than 4 or 5 at a time.

Some days it's really hard. There will be times when they're all in an awful mood, and it's hard to get through the day. Most days, it's amazing though. Most of them call me mama, and cry when they leave.
  • scratcho likes this

#17 Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

• PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted November 05 2013 - 05:40 PM

It wasn't hard for me at all. I have an associate's degree from back when I was an x-ray med tech. I was actually in pharmacy for 7 years before deciding to start this. Above everything else, parents have told me they just want someone they feel comfortable leaving their kids with. I also do lots of activities, very little tv, and I make mostly organic healthy meals and snack from scratch. I also keep an immaculate house. I charge a flat rate of $500 a month for around the clock, m-f ( which is suuuuper cheap for childcare). Weekends are $40 per child, perday. I spend roughly $150 a month for food, milk, and things for activities.

Some days it's really hard. There will be times when they're all in an awful mood, and it's hard to get through the day. Most days, it's amazing though. Most of them call me mama, abd cry when they leave.

aw :)

#18 Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide

Sweet and Tender Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 06:15 PM

Some days it's really hard. There will be times when they're all in an awful mood, and it's hard to get through the day. Most days, it's amazing though. Most of them call me mama, and cry when they leave.

That really cool Mama but it sounds like you're around kids 24/7...I bet when you party.....you PARTY.

religion for people afraid of going to hell.spirituality is for people who have been there.

getting laid is not the same as getting free consensual sex. that actually may be comparable to winning the lottery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Peace Love Unity Respect

#19 *MAMA*

*MAMA*

Perfectly Imperfect

• PipPipPip
  • 6,405 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 06:21 PM

That really cool Mama but it sounds like you're around kids 24/7...I bet when you party.....you PARTY.

Besides derby, I rarely go out, but yeah... when I do, I go ALL out lol.

#20 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted November 05 2013 - 07:25 PM

Wow cool... what do you do?

We develop and teach science programs for elementary school kids.

I charge a flat rate of $500 a month for around the clock, m-f ( which is suuuuper cheap for childcare). Weekends are $40 per child, perday. I spend roughly $150 a month for food, milk, and things for activities.

:eek:
I have seen people who charge half that much per week, and that's not for round the clock, just basically from 6 am-6pm.

You should charge more, if you don't, it could come back to bite you in the ass later.

Did you have to do a background screening, cpr/first aid certified and get state child care provider certification?
In Ca. you HAVE to be state certified or you can get into LOTS of trouble.
"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds