• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lostblackdog

lostblackdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 08:05 PM

So, I finally did it. I finished my epic saga across academia and landed on a B.S. in Psychology of Human Services. I spanned nearly every field of study imaginable (feel free to max out your imagination here), and I don't know where to go from here other than graduate school. The problem is that I don't care for research at all. My primary focus has always been related to counseling in the same manner and style as Rollo May and Carl Rogers, and having nearly 3 years of experience doing just that via a state job doesn't help motivate me toward starting this journey all over again. Does anyone know of a way to bypass the formalities of further education in this field and just dive right in to the thick of it?
Ain't got no money, and the sheets are stained with wine. I got holes in my pants, but the world's looking just fine.
Posted Image

#2 Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer

• PipPipPip
  • 14,339 posts

Posted August 10 2013 - 07:29 AM

These days you're not going to get a counselling job with an undergrad degree. I have this same degree, and I'm going for a master's in social work, so i'm more hands on. i recommend social work if you are interested in helping people this way.

2015_digital_spore_by_farboart-d99vlvl.j

#3 Faelixx

Faelixx

whatever dude

• PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted August 10 2013 - 07:49 AM

I don't have any advice but.. I'm starting my academic journey this year, going for my BA in psychology but I have a feeling when I get there I might change my mind. I would loooove to do research, so we differ in opinion on that one. What exactly does "human services" entail? Don't you have to do a lot of research in your 11 years of school? What was the most challenging aspect of your schooling and why do you not know where to go from here?

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop