Do you trust the Media?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by PhotoDude, Jul 7, 2013.

1. storch

storch banned

Me too!!

2. odonII

odonII O

It's not surprising you don't trust the more right wing news sources

[​IMG]

3. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I'll put it this way ... I trust the news media more than I trust those silly chain emails that so many people believe in, and more than random goofballs on YouTube, and more than the conspiracy freaks on this site.

4. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

I was joking. Fox news is blatantly conservative and msnbc is blatantly liberal. I don't 100% trust any news source but pbs reuters and bbc seem better than the two I mentioned before

5. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

I know better than to do that man

6. parris001

parris001 Guest

Anyone that reports the news is going to put their slant on it. Whether they intend to or not. The late Walter Cronkite was a leftie, BUT, he was a professional and did a real good job of not interjecting his own political philosophy into his news reporting. Well, later he slid and it became apparent he had a bias. But for the greatest part of his career he was very professional in his approach.

7. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Love to say YES,
    Many good and Important stories have been brought to the attention of the World - with Good investigatory journalism
    History says NO, Many Good relevant stories have been 'dumbed down, many questions left unanswered, and added to
    Media Marketing days says HELL NO - when the choice of Headline goes along the lies, sorry lines of Sensationalism in order to ensure a degree of profitability, then it is authenticity which then becomes the story
    "Question Everything"? - Now that is something I can agree upon
    :)

8. paul59539

paul59539 Guest

There are some independent media organizations and journalists do an excellent job of examining issues or events of importance to many of us. But there are few as well that might questions their credibility, thus whether we can trust mainstream media overall.

9. odonII

odonII O

e.g's?

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I used to...but now i see old news people getting appointed into cushy senate jobs in my country and it makes me wonder what has gone on in the past...what were they promised..what kind of deals were made

11. storch

storch banned

Yes, I trust the media . . . unless they lie.

12. storch

storch banned

OK, I've just considered the ratio of truth to lies when it comes to the media, and I guess I don't trust it.

13. LornaDoom

LornaDoom Senior Member

I dont believe anything in the media, it all has an underlying agenda

14. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I do not need media to sell me on any politicians.

Its fine for say Rolling Stone Magaizine to do a promo-puff piece on an entertainer.

I would wish for media to ask questions.

15. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Corporate owned media has its own agenda, just like government owned media. The best sources are like the ones that are public owned and operate off donations and memberships from the people. In America, corporate news is Infotainment, not journalism.

16. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I trust some sources... I definitely think the mainstream ones are more reliable than the 'underground' bullshit like Alex Jones and the people who think vaccines are poison and the US is planning on bombing its own citizens. Still, I'm aware the mainstream sources bring their own slant to things. I trust wikileaks for sure... it's too boring to be fake.

The Canadian news channels are mostly good... I'm aware that the CBC leans left and the private news sources are probably closer to the middle/right, so I think they provide a good contrast. The only one I would never trust is Sun News... and anyone who trusts Fox News in the US is probably an idiot.

17. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hell no. question everything. i refuse to own a tv, anything i want to watch i can download or watch on youtube. remember, tv programming is what Big Brother chooses for you to watch.... I prefer Discovery, Animal Planet, History Channel, BBC, PBS, and Al Jazeera

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So those channels aren't subject to such kind of programming?

Also, tv just works with a program because that's how it used to work. Newer tv's gives you the option to only watch what you want at whatever time. I don't think you're supposed to watch the whole programming :p (but you are free to :D)

19. odonII

odonII O

Asmodean

'Newer tv's gives you the option to only watch what you want at whatever time.'

Not TV's. Cable packages - with there shiny boxes.
    And you can't get the complete lineup of the BBC's output on [American] cable (last time I checked).
    It's also expensive to have an ongoing cable package.
    So, downloading selected content from around the world (in this case the UK) is a good idea.
    She still, effectively, is still watching TV if you want to shout 'hypocrisy'.

I've never thought about TV scheduling being the work of 'Big Brother'.

20. Stanjr722

Stanjr722 Member

I don't believe the media. 40 years ago the news was honest information meant to inform you. TV stations did not sell ad time during the news and were mostly locally owned and had a stake in the local community that they served.
    Times are different now. The same companies that advertise during the news many times own that station. TV stations all across America are owned by a few large companies now.
    And everything is about money and trying to control the general public.
    The news tells people what issues they should care about and slant many stories to change the way you might think about an issue. It's really brainwash tactics .
    We are given 2 choices for president and both almost always suck and although the news consistently tries to show differences between the two main parties ,they are more the same than different and it's basically who can raise the most money wins.
    We are not a free democratic society because of the money that's allowed in government and the control the media has over so many Americans.
    All people have to do is stop watching and start thinking . Just because the news guy is in your living room every night in a suit and tie does not mean everything he says is fact.

2 people like this.