248 replies to this topic

#21 McFuddy

McFuddy

Never quite zen

• PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 05:15 PM

No, I do not.
Fortunately boy I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency.

#22 BeachBall

BeachBall

Nosey old moo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:50 PM

Sure I believe in astrology ... it definitely exists.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't give a damn whether or not people agree with my chosen lifestyle, because I don't recall asking for their permission

this really requires a more in-depth answer than i'm willing to type right now.

#23 nz male

nz male

• PipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 05:07 PM

Sometimes my horoscope is very close to reality but sometimes it's just luck that something has happened in a similar predicted way.

#24 r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned

Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

• PipPipPip
  • 11,970 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sometimes my horoscope is very close to reality but sometimes it's just luck that something has happened in a similar predicted way.

stop the press!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

lebowski.jpg
Glauben diejenigen, die nach der Wahrheit suchen. Zweifle an denen, die ihn finden.

#25 lithium

lithium

frogboy

• PipPipPip
  • 10,054 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:48 AM

I don't believe in things that have been tested repeatedly under controlled conditions and found not to have any basis in evidence

I continued to grow my hair, then I had dreads, then I brushed out the dreads and now I have long hair again. How terribly exciting. But yeah, did we all just grow up?

#26 lithium

lithium

frogboy

• PipPipPip
  • 10,054 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:13 AM

In my opinion, astrology is accurate when you really get super serious, looking up all about your chart...not just your sun sign. You need to be aware of your rising sign and then you need to look at ALL the houses, all your aspects, and sometimes the degrees that the houses are on and the degrees of the planets make a difference. Just for one example...my sun is unaspected, which in itself "means something". There are literally numerous things to be looked at and considered when evaluating a chart.

Because there are so many factors, you can find confirmation for pretty much any interpretation of an astrological chart, many of them contradictory. If you think about it, this makes astrology extremely inaccurate. All you can do is verify your inferences, never refute them.
http://en.wikipedia..../Falsifiability

I continued to grow my hair, then I had dreads, then I brushed out the dreads and now I have long hair again. How terribly exciting. But yeah, did we all just grow up?

#27 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,600 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:31 AM

Astrology is your (mine) past, present and future so if only humans would understand astrology and multiverses,maybe we'd be in better shape.......only a few, know the true knowlegde and it is somehow kept from us all.It's for us(humanity as a whole) to evolve and get to better living.It's for the population to wake up and see what's out there.Open your mind and you'll see this world differently...... CHEERS

And that is your opinion, you can't really state it as a fact.

#28 autophobe2e

autophobe2e

• PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:14 PM

i read the newspaper horoscope, its just barnham statements that let you do the work, but fun in their own way.

don't believe in it at all, really.

terribly depressing thought, really, living in a deterministic universe where your date of birth affects both your personality and destiny? shackled to a futile, linear narrative by forces beyond your control or understanding with all the other august-clones like an esoteric version of Brave New World? no fucking thanks.

but then, i would say that; typical cancer :D

Ua2h5.jpg

#29 IamnotaMan I AM THOR

IamnotaMan I AM THOR

I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via usual channels.

• PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm asking this question because I'm actually curious. I'm not trying to start a debate. Personally I believe astrology is just pseudoscience, but I'm interested to hear what some true believers say. Sorry if this has been asked before. Honestly I only looked at the first page............

:sunny: <--- Cool smileys!

In the past, I thought it was tripe OR just so far removed from what it originally was, that it had lost all pretty much validity.

However, I never had any evidence to assess it.

To sum up, I think there's quack astrology and an astrology that people don't readily understand. ie most of us don't know what REAL astrology is.

Part of my work, I assess financial markets. And the idea of using planets for this sounded moronic.

But in finance, the big mystery is the length of cycles ie booms, busts etc, and all the moves in between.

Now one form of astrology is ALL about cycle lengths - day, week, month, morning, year, crop season etc. Then we have cycles like lifespan, career etc. And cycles in weather and other influences. This is science I'm talking about not "natal Venus in Conjunct with Saturn".

Planetary alignments can be considered "clocks", timing patterns that history can judge and confirm(or not). Then we have the physical influences these planets have-ntypically sun, moon, earth etc.

I've checked out reports by central banks, and conventional economists/banks etc. Even birth patterns eg month of birth give huge statistical correlations. The reality is that our minds operate according to cycles, patterns and constantly recurring "magic numbers".

I'm only interested in the science, not the "claimed tradition". It was a big eye-opener.

I'd love to find out about the Vatican's astrology books, and also some more Kabbalist stuff. Its weird when something u think is shite, turns into a revelation.

#30 lickshots

lickshots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:37 AM

I agree, I think whether or not one believes in astrology often has to do with how much understanding one has on the subject. If all you know about is your Sun sign and newspaper horoscopes, you're probably going to consider it silly superstition. I think a person with more in-depth knowledge on the subject will find it difficult to dismiss completely. Most people know their Sun sign, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. I find natal astrology to be uncanny in its accuracy. However, I consider horoscopes to be generalized BS. My two cents.
  • muslimastrology01 likes this