• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 g0withefl0w

g0withefl0w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi all new to posting in the forums but been reading for about 10 years I am a proffesional chef and did not go to school was just lucky to have a foot in a door and people willing to teach. If anyone wants advice or want to know why there cooking is not coming out as planned. let me know and id be glad to help.

#2 NeedsAnOralSlut

NeedsAnOralSlut

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi all new to posting in the forums but been reading for about 10 years I am a proffesional chef and did not go to school was just lucky to have a foot in a door and people willing to teach. If anyone wants advice or want to know why there cooking is not coming out as planned. let me know and id be glad to help.

I would love to learn about culinary arts and do something part time working with food. I am trying to get out of debt and don't have the money right now to be able to attend culinary arts classes or schools, but I would love to learn.

#3 g0withefl0w

g0withefl0w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 10:43 AM

have you ever worked as a cook or in food service? if not i can give you tips i didnt go to school just had to learn as i went it might be hard to jump into service or catering, but i would recommend either starting applying as a prep cook especially if you know someone who might be able to teach you on site. research the background of the food you will be preparing or cooking at the restaraunt. start working on your knife skills, julienne some stuff onions peppers. work on dicing,chopping etc. easiest station is going to be the pantry/cold side or the fryer. when you do go in work hard and show and eagerness to learn, and be positive chances are even if you dont know alot about the food if you have a good attitude and work hard the boss will like you and teach you. community college has great classes that arent expensive that will give you basics. keep in mind though its not a glamorous career alot of stress you have to cope with, long hours on your feet,keep an even head and work through when your behind on stuff,get used to smelling like food touching raw food alot and being in a kitchen all day. thats just the downsides but there are alot of upsides, great adrenaline rush during service, producing good plates is very gratifying, and you learn alot about food others have no idea about, there is alot of science behind the process of cooking from start to end. if you have any ?s just let me know
Soul shine

#4 ryupower

ryupower

NO capcom included

• PipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 10:55 PM

My boyfriend might be interested in cullinery.
I have a question,
in cullinery, does it boost you to get a Diploma in the area?

Posted Image
(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...

"Women having body hair is Biblical..."

#5 JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 04:26 AM

I went to culinary school.. It was good
For history of food and to study food
But I learned more from just being in
Kitchens and doing it.. Yea it helped
Get my foot in the door but , I'd recommend
Learning on your own.. Knife cuts and
Multitasking are very important
Real love you don't hold inside, Real love you can let go, and it'll fire right back to you, THATS real love
-Brent Mydland

#6 Bouga

Bouga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 12:22 PM

It would be awesome to learn some new techniques. I've never had a chance to pick up new techniques, so I basically cook how I was taught how which can get pretty boring. It would be great to have an area to pick up new things and maybe share recipes with other users who have the interest.

#7 lively_girl

lively_girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 12:32 PM

Knife cuts and
Multitasking are very important

I like good food, so it would be great if I knew how to prepare it.

Could you perhaps explain to us some basic techniques and tips? Cooking for Dummies style would be nice :).

#8 Chodpa

Chodpa

-=Chop_Chop=-

• PipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 05:47 AM

My boyfriend might be interested in cullinery.
I have a question,
in cullinery, does it boost you to get a Diploma in the area?

Only if you go to the top named culinary schools. A local associate's degree and lobor board cert won't get you anywhere. I am a chef and in all my years not one restaurant asked me if I had a ACF Cert, or degree.

On the job experience is everything.
:sunny:

#9 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted June 08 2013 - 02:37 AM

That's where I got my experience as a professional cook. Even then, I still love to learn new techniques and recipes.

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#10 lively_girl

lively_girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted June 08 2013 - 01:30 PM

This is the free school thread, so let's start exchanging our culinary knowledge.

One of the chefs should start :2thumbsup:.

Admitedly I can't add much to this thread, but I promise to be a good student :).

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop