• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 beatlebug

beatlebug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted January 05 2012 - 07:06 AM

I rode the rails for the first time this summer and it was awesome! I hopped out of Klamath Falls, Oregon to Roseville, California with a homeboy. My first ride was a gondola and the second was on the porch of a grainer. It beat the hell out of hitchhiking for me and I'm looking forward to riding more this summer. Anyone else ever ridden freight?

#2 Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus

Master of Funk and Evil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted January 05 2012 - 07:50 AM

I would love to try this...

..but having known a fellow who lost both of his legs riding freight, I'm not about to risk it.
https://t1.gstatic.c...EkdIUXphLC3F7UQ
"Now we're cooking with Evil gas!"

#3 Rutz

Rutz

The Farming Communist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 05:53 AM

I'd like to give it a try, but friends who've done it say the security some yards hire is pretty violent.
Welcome To The Orwellian Reality

#4 GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yes same here. I have been wanting to try this for quite some time. It would surely be a nice change from hitchiking. But im just unsure about the security and dont have enough knowledge yet.
  • Shrimpy86 likes this

#5 raincoast

raincoast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted January 29 2012 - 07:23 PM

Every day i have the urge to hop on a train. Theres a huge railyard in my town, and its relatively easy to get in there. Never seen security but theres no doubt they'd be there. One day.. One day.

By the way, any practical tips for freight hopping?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
To Discover Wilderness is to Discover Yourself!
Love is the answer, Now is the time!

#6 adforester

adforester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted January 31 2012 - 03:17 PM

I know one colleague who did it for 2 years, must have done something right (?) He said there was every age group riding, i don't know where though. He was a rough looking character but a nice guy.
---The now is not present, by the time you receive stimulus it is already in the past---

#7 rail_punk

rail_punk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 06:28 PM

riding the rails is awsome. ive done it for about 10 years now. been all over us and canada. theres sercurity but just be aware and have commen sense. ive only been arrested once and that was in la. most of the time they just ask u to leave or give u a ticket. alot of times the dont even bother u. just keep a low profile youll be fine
good luck
  • staci likes this

#8 GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 08:41 PM

Sounds good man thanks for the info! I'll be sure to try it this coming season

#9 jokerlove69

jokerlove69

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 12:00 PM

i train hopped from asheville to knoxville. i wasnt afraid tho. prob be more fun if i went with partner :)
  • Shrimpy86 likes this

#10 Zanahoria

Zanahoria

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hey all-
I just finished reading this train hopping memoir, which I think is pretty new-

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00AXPRA8M

I stumbled onto it on amazon. You can only read it on a kindle or the computer, but my parents just bought me a kindle so that works for me. It was super escapist and a nice vacation from from my currently boring life... I really want to ride freight trains someday. Has anyone ridden trains and if so, what did you think of this memoir?