Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company
Photo
- - - - -

I can understand now why parents want their kids homeschooled.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 10:55 AM

Before I used to be against homeschooling and private tutors but since I've gone through my elementary school report cards and compared them with the intelligence assessments that were given to be at the same time, I figured out that from grade 1-7 that teachers marked students in a biased manner. I also read the comments by my teachers and I've noticed they are based more on social conformity and personality than academic skills. I think they gave straight A's to the suck-ups who were extremely obident to the point of being almost like robots; they also made sure that they stayed away from children ' who didn't fit in the education system like myself and my brother who were creative thinkers that were great with computers who were independent learners. I also was an undiagnosed high functioning autistic and the teachers didn't know that and thought I was a troublemaker and future criminal. Now that I look back I wonder why my parents didn't home tutor me during elementary school because that was the only time I had bad marks, as I started to go on the honor roll when I went into grade 8 for some reason.

It seemed that elementary school education during the early to mid-90's was nothing but a social experiment run by fascist teachers.

Are these observations one reason why you choose to home school your kids or am I missing something else?

#2 good2bhome

good2bhome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 03:20 PM

I chose to homeschool my children for many different reasons which have broadened over the years. However, this does remind me of one friend who pulled her two children out of school. One was an energetic, outgoing little girl and the other a shy, soft spoken boy. After working one on one with the them she realized that her daughter, although she got good grades, was below grade level and her son, who recieved poor grades, was actually ahead. Her theory was grading was biased because of the temperamental differences in her children.

#3 PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA

DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 03:56 PM

Welcome to the United States where you expecting anything else ??

#4 Sitka

Sitka

viajera

• PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 09:32 PM

I believe in public education so much that I am 8 months away from being certified to teach.

But yes, temperament does affect teachers' reactions to students... They are human and doing their best. Collicky babies get handled less by their parents than smiling children - does that mean parents are fascists? No.

3754ee21-519b-4988-a578-3f7f99721e36_zps

"Oh well.  No place has everything that you need." - HM

#5 Padme

Padme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted August 28 2010 - 11:09 AM

I believe in public education so much that I am 8 months away from being certified to teach.

But yes, temperament does affect teachers' reactions to students... They are human and doing their best. Collicky babies get handled less by their parents than smiling children - does that mean parents are fascists? No.

I meant that SOME, not all teachers grade students in ELEMENTARY schools based on their own subjective views and relationship towards that student. For example, Mr. X only gives As to the students that he feels more comfortable with who don;t question his authority and whose parents are supportive of the school and who are average middle-class conservative citizens. These students who get good grades from Mr. X also aim to please him both socially and academically by agreeing with everything he says to other students and only befriending other students that the teacher also likes.

I'm not saying that all elementary teachers are like that. I've had a couple of good teachers in my grade school years. I'm just saying that parents need to pay attention to the teaching styles and views of their children teachers and home school them if they don't get along with your child.

#6 blackcat666

blackcat666

• PipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 02:16 AM

:iamwithstupid:

WHAT A GODDAMN COCKSUCKING LOAD OF HORSESHIT!

i was a psychologist for almost 17 years.
i gave up a career i loved to no end because, i almost lost my physical health to sever burnout... i cared too much and, it broke my heart day end and day out to see all the kids fucked over by the both church and public schools!:sad:

i have no respect for any instuition that breaks kids wills and murders their spirits!

i now work for the ACLU.
the ACLU even has a website devoted to the civil rights of kids.
on our website we educate parents and kids in how to protect themselves from the public "schools."
we help them to file lawsuites aganist you tyrants.
you heard right! people who work for church and public "schools" are are nothing but baby sitters and jailers.

i hold my head high in pride that i was a real educator as a psychologist, and i was able to enjoy watching people grow, develop, and empower themselves.

the philosophy of the public "school" model is that, you mold childern to be "good citizens." a "good citizen" is code for: obedent slave to our church, corporate, or government masters.

the philosphy of psychology is you don't mold people to "educate" them. you let people unfoled to educate and empower themselves.

there are real schools built on the open model like psychology is built on. the best known of them are the montessori schools.
while we are on montessori schools. most people who work for the public "school" systems; won't put their own kids in public "schools."
most of them put their kids into montessori schools.

when i was a psychologist, i worked with a lot of people who worked in public "schools." these were always the best and the brightest, who wanted to really give their all for the kids. they all left the public "school" system. the system destroys the best it has weather educator or learner.

the cream does not rise to the top in church or public "schools." it is the shit that flots in them.

i hope your not shit sitka. i doubt that you are.
if your here at hip forums, your most likely one of the best and brightest!:cheers2:
most likely, after a few years in the public "school" system, you will bale out to save yourself... JUST DON'T WAIT TO LONG!
i sure would hate for your life and your relationships go down the tiolet!:sad:

#7 ChronicTom

ChronicTom

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted August 30 2010 - 03:02 AM

For a majority of people, the public school system is just perfect. It serves its purpose perfectly.

All you have to do is look at the ratio of people that succeed in that system and you can quite clearly see the point.

If however, you want to raise independent, free thinking individuals who actually 'think' rather then regurgitate, then home schooling is definitely a better choice.

Something to keep in mind though, regardless of where a person goes to school, the most important factor in how they are raised, is just that, how they are raised, by their parents.

#8 bkay0o

bkay0o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 28 2010 - 06:24 PM

I was home schooled until 7th grade. I was public schooled from 8th grade until I graduated and it was a terrible five years. It truly did break my spirit and it took me a long time to realize why I was so unhappy. As a kid I hated being homeschooled, now I only wish I had stuck with it.

#9 Vernadead

Vernadead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted October 28 2010 - 06:43 PM

Bleghhhhh public ed.
Elementary school was just as suckish in the late 90s too.
When I was young, no one had faith in me at 1st, thought I was one of those who had severe learning disabilities and cognition disabilities. The 1st and 2nd Grade screwed me up bad. I had an issue that just because I liked someone the people who were supposed to help me scorned me, and blatantly tried to make me conform. I really didn't have the support I needed in elementary school. I did alright in elementary school but still teachers yelled at me and I was like what the hell?
So yeah...public schools in general are just awful.

It got slightly better in highschool as opportunities in different classes were better. People know me as a Comm and humanities buff.

#10 DroopySnoopy

DroopySnoopy

The ORIGINAL Dr. Droop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted November 07 2010 - 02:04 PM

As with anything they both have pros and cons, but in general, home schooled students have much higher test scores than Public education students. Granted, some students are not the best test takers in general, but you would find this in both categories. I was home schooled through high school and public from 1st to 5th grade. I learned much more and experimented with alternative methods of learning during the latter years.

https://www.hipforums.com/newforums/picture.php?albumid=817&pictureid=95611

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds