64 replies to this topic

#21 yellowcab

yellowcab

Fresh baked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 10:53 AM

While I think that ADHD is probably real and effects some people to a negative degree, I also think it is way over diagnosed. In reality I think about 10% of people getting scripts for ADHD really need them, the rest is just juicing up profits for big pharma. Kids have been having these problems since the beginning of time, its called personality. Dosing these kids with whatever before they even reach puberty so they will be less of a pain in the ass robs them of developing a personality. We actually had a clean up kid where I used to work that told us we cant get mad and yell at him if he cant do his job properly because he has ADHD. WTF, I knew him his whole life, his parents too, just making excuses for himself.

#22 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 10:56 AM

There's probably nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't need to have a job.

Well, thats kind of my point. Everything in society is so ordered, including the job industry. There are normal jobs for normal people. Instead of saying "this is the way it is, so i'm going to take my prozac or my lithium or my adderall so i can function with normal people, people who are in order, not disordered," I wish people would have the guts to stand up and ask "why is it this way? Why do i have to take a magic pill because I dont fit in with other people? What can I do to express myself and put myself out there and be apart of this world without falling in line?" I know i'm sounding like an annoying idealist now, and thats slightly off topic. but it applies to parents of ADHD children too. Its just being responsible to question a doctor's decision to place any child on speed (i enjoy calling it speed, I feel like adderall is just a euphanism). Any decision that anyone else makes for a person and especially that person's child should be questioned as much as possible.

#23 FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark

The Cynical Flower Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted February 09 2010 - 10:58 AM

They tried to drug me in school and put me in a special-ed class in elementary bc they thought I didn't know my own name. Upon a more thorough exam by a qualified doc, it turns out I was actually deemed highly intelligent and creative, not to mention deaf in one ear. I'm glad my mom had that one nipped in the bud early on. Sure I was rambunctious, but why not?? I was a little kid bored out of her mind all day at school! I didn't actually have a challenging assignment till I got to middle school. By then, I wad ruined for taking it seriously and to this day I have awful study habits at college because I wasn't taught self-discipline at an early age.
I won't go so far as to say it doesn't exist, but I think that more care should definitely be taken distinguish a real, debilitating problem and a lack of the right kind of stimulation (not to mention the quality of school food).

"Before, beside us, and above, the firefly lights his lamp of love."
--Bishop Reginald Heber

#24 Ddoright

Ddoright

• PipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 11:26 AM

I work with small groups of kids and i'm telling you, some kids can not maintain, as badly as they might want too. There is a difference between a kid who is curious and excited to one who is literally bouncing off the wall. One kid I have is up every 2 minutes running to a place has been told not to go - and if you say no to something the rest of the class is spent trying to explain why not.
Nothing, I mean nothing else is being accomplished for the other kids who perhaps could learn some new concepts.

I mean, there is something really wrong here. The brain is not firing properly. It affects the other kids and their right and desire to learn and has got to be disabling for the poor kid who's thought process is out of control.

I know some kids are medicated because they are simply overactive, but there are some kids whose life is going to be ruined if thier problem is not addressed - and sometimes that means chemically.

#25 NotDead

NotDead

Not even close.

• PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 02:22 PM

I wish people would have the guts to stand up and ask "why is it this way? Why do i have to take a magic pill because I dont fit in with other people? What can I do to express myself and put myself out there and be apart of this world without falling in line?"

Good luck with that in the job market. Let us know how that works out for you. :rolleyes:

I know some kids are medicated because they are simply overactive, but there are some kids whose life is going to be ruined if thier problem is not addressed

:iagree:

gallery_144011_8064_856.jpg

The more wrong a person is about something, the more certain he is that he is correct. I am absolutely sure about this.

#26 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 11:19 AM

Good luck with that in the job market. Let us know how that works out for you. :rolleyes:

:iagree:

i find it rather small minded to assume the only way to survive in this world is by immersing yourself in the traditional american job market.

#27 bree53

bree53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 11:26 AM

A lot of ADHD is a bad reaction to all the high fructose corn syrup in products. I had worked with kids having some ADHD tendencies and get them off of HFCS for a while there is a HUGE difference in how they act. Works wonders when you eat well.

#28 desperad0

desperad0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted February 11 2010 - 09:55 AM

i find it rather small minded to assume the only way to survive in this world is by immersing yourself in the traditional american job market.

Are you hiring?

#29 FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark

The Cynical Flower Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted February 12 2010 - 08:51 AM

A lot of ADHD is a bad reaction to all the high fructose corn syrup in products. I had worked with kids having some ADHD tendencies and get them off of HFCS for a while there is a HUGE difference in how they act. Works wonders when you eat well.

That was kind of what I was hinting at when I mentioned quality of school food, but you hit the nail on the head. I would also point to bleached wheat rather than whole causing sugar spikes and crashes rather than a more stable grain food that won't put the kid in orbit.

Sure, it's not the ONLY way to survive, but I would think someone who can't even concentrate hard enough to earn a high school degree is going to have considerable difficulty carving out an entirely new niche from scratch... Of course there are exceptions, they are just that- exceptions- not the rule. We can't rely on these few cases as a means to give kids the tools to function in the present society so they have every chance to provide for themselves, and someday a family, if they want it. You can't just see a kid who can't concentrate and shrug and say "that one marches to the beat of a different drum" and kick him out of school.

I used to think society was all wrong and backwards and I was going to CHANGE THE WORLD and we were all going to wear rainbow toe socks to work with funky hats if we wanted to... and then I realized it was more important to me to work in a scientific field than to wear rainbow toes socks and funky hats. As I grew older and experienced more, my priorities changed, and that was the choice I made, because science made me more happy than rainbow toes socks and funky hats, so now I have to play ball. Rainbow toe socks and funky hats will have to wait until the weekend. :)

"Before, beside us, and above, the firefly lights his lamp of love."
--Bishop Reginald Heber

#30 Sweetleaf63

Sweetleaf63

• PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 10:17 AM

Well, thats kind of my point. Everything in society is so ordered, including the job industry. There are normal jobs for normal people. Instead of saying "this is the way it is, so i'm going to take my prozac or my lithium or my adderall so i can function with normal people, people who are in order, not disordered," I wish people would have the guts to stand up and ask "why is it this way? Why do i have to take a magic pill because I dont fit in with other people? What can I do to express myself and put myself out there and be apart of this world without falling in line?" I know i'm sounding like an annoying idealist now, and thats slightly off topic. but it applies to parents of ADHD children too. Its just being responsible to question a doctor's decision to place any child on speed (i enjoy calling it speed, I feel like adderall is just a euphanism). Any decision that anyone else makes for a person and especially that person's child should be questioned as much as possible.

good point..
I feel the same about situations like this..
It seems like everyone these days are diagnosed with
metal illnesses.. Its getting ridiculouse..
Wake Up The Dead!
Posted Image

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop