Do not home school your kid!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ToFunToDie

ToFunToDie

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 12:06 AM

I have been homeschooled for 10 years, and it is now my senior year(If i were to be in high school that is) And I realize that i have missed so much in life and I am so depressed about it. Being homeschooled kept me from doing a lot, and putting your child through it, might sound good. But its really not, with being homeschooled, you have no friends, no social life, nothing. And If i could change everything i would of went to school for the past 10 years. I had reasons why I couldn't go to school, I would have panic attacks at school and I couldn't stay in the class room, without my parents. Happened for years and years, Panic attacks at school, Anxiety at school, freaking out at school, just so much stuff and after 2 months of each year i would end up being homeschooled and i may have needed it, but i wish i would of forced myself to go and atleast had some kind of life, and friends. Now turning 18 in like a month i have about 2 friends, who i can call friends. This all could happen to your kid and if you homeschool them through highschool and everything, when they get to graduate, there will be a lot of stress/depression going on with them and they are gonna hate the fact that they didn't get to have what others have. I am going through it and it sucks, and i just wanted you parents to know that homeschooling isn't good for your kids, in the end will cause them to hurt.

#2 Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape

Gavagai?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 02:04 AM

Depends on the kid, really. I wouldn't assume that everyone else is going to react in the same way as you have.

Besides, if you have two good friends, it doesn't sound like you're that bad off. I only have two very close friends, and I'm in high school and graduating this year. Going to school does not automatically get you friends.

That being said, I am glad that I went to high school, because I did meet some great people there.

Have sex with a 67 year old prostitute and kill your cat. Quickest way to enlightenment.

its common knowledge that a cock in your mouth is kind of the smoking gun of gayness

Ps: masturbate on LSD with caution.. :D

#3 Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 05:58 PM

I only have a handful of good friends post-high school. I had a ton of friends in high school, but only because I was in the fishbowl that they call high school. When you reach the real world where your life isn't dictated by the gvt and you can do whatever you want, you'll see how many people friends you really have.

Don't feel too bad about it man. Although I do miss those school dances, I miss a good ol' bump n grind fest.

#4 ponyiq

ponyiq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted June 19 2009 - 05:43 AM

I have two half Nieces that were home schooled. One of them just graduated from college in architecture as number 1 in her class and received a grant that has never been awarded to a woman before.. She is right now in India working on low income housing for the poorest of the poor.. after doing the same in Africa.. She was very involved in her church and there were always a ton of teenagers at their house, kids that went to traditional schools, private schools and home schooled. The younger daughter graduated from high school ( home school ) 1 year early with 5 more credits than the state requires. She had a great full time job that she has excelled in. She had the opportunity to go to college but she wanted to pursue her art// photographyweb creation/ music skills. She is head of the graphics / music department at a very large church.

I think it depends on why you are being home schooled, the situation, if you are involved with other groups of people, etc. My half-sister had her children involved with church, with other home school groups and with neighborhood kids.. The girls took group music lessons with other kids, dancing , etc.. so that the girls developed strong social skills, and strong groups of friends.

I would home school if my job allowed.. it doesn't so instead my child goes to a private school due to the size of the classes here in my town ( K had 30+ students in a class and my child is very sensitive, has adhd and is a visual not auditory learner)

Nicole
Nicole

#5 NotDead

NotDead

Not even close.

• PipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 09:43 AM

In the area where I live, most parents who choose home schooling do so to prevent their kids from being exposed to other kids who don't live by conservative fundamentalist christian values, and to give them a heavier academic emphasis in bible study. This is poor preparation for adult life. The kids are going to grow up and live in a world filled with all kinds of people with different values and backgrounds, and they will have employers who care only about job skills, not beliefs.

gallery_144011_8064_856.jpg

The more wrong a person is about something, the more certain he is that he is correct. I am absolutely sure about this.

#6 MissBHave

MissBHave

insert clever phrase here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 10:08 AM

Plus there are alot of homeschooling groups and co-ops to make sure your kids get time to socialize with other kids as well as sports and music classes and other stuff to get them involved in. I think it's important to do that if you choose to homeschool, which I do
I want to spike your heartbreak with fiction and your daydreams with truth......

#7 Duck

Duck

quack.

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,857 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 10:15 AM

His grammar should be proof enough without his testimonial!

Check out my poetry

Stand up for your rights.

#8 MissBHave

MissBHave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 10:17 AM

lol
i shouldn't have laughed at that
I want to spike your heartbreak with fiction and your daydreams with truth......

#9 Duck

Duck

quack.

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,857 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 10:19 AM

lol
i shouldn't have laughed at that

Well, you ARE MissBHave.
That name doesn't suggest you do much that you should do.

Check out my poetry

Stand up for your rights.

#10 MissBHave

MissBHave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 10:24 AM

hahahaha touche