hey coffee lovers

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by serena3, Sep 8, 2008.

1. MaryJBlaze

MaryJBlaze eleven

double double of course;)

2. Nova?!

Nova?! The Walrus

best you can get! :D

3. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Adding chicory to coffee is an old Southern tradition. Nearly all Southern pork barbecue restaurants serve coffee that way.

4. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

I love coffee. Its so soothing and comforting in the morning. I like to drink any time of the day though :)

5. caliente

caliente Senior Member

Isn't it curious that a coffee chain would be named after a character in Moby Dick?

6. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

I drink it blaaaaaaack....can't imagine it any other way personally....

I was a tims fanatic for the longest time... but I'm getting used to Starbucks too now. And I really don't mind the extra few cents because like a poster made a huge rant about before, they do do a lot of good for such a large corp, better than tims anywho. And in terms of "destroying indie coffee business"... In Canada, starbucks aint the culprit...its tims. period. Theres a corner near my house that has a tims on one side and another diagonally across the street. Talk about a chain.

I actually have an interview at a Starbucks on thurs... so excited. I really hope I can get in there and out of the hole I'm in now.

7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

8. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

9. arthur itis

I thot it were named after Starbuck, from Battlestar Gallactica.

10. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

11. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate, but I say if you have to have your coffee, drink the best possible. I choose organic and fair trade, so while I may be wasting water, at least I'm doing something. I'm not at a point where I'm willing to give up coffee yet in my life.

12. FunHogg

FunHogg Senior Member

I mainly stick to Starbucks for two reasons...price and consistency.

There are several local coffee shops around here. I've been to all of them at least once. Every one of them charges more for a cup of coffee than Starbucks. I would gladly pay that extra nickel or dime per cup if the coffee was good. But it's not...none of the local places can seem to brew a decent urn of java. Starbucks gets it right almost every time. Sure, you occasionally get a cup from them that's been sitting around too long, or they only have their shitty Pike Place on offer. If that's the case I ask them to re-make my drink or I go with an Americano.

Just my two cents. You folks drink whatever you like. I may even join you sometime.

I feel like I should mention that I'm not a coffee snob. I'll glady drink whatever is available, just generally stick to Starbucks if I'm going out for coffee. However, I'm perfectly content to sit home and drink my Maxwell House French Roast.

13. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

Ah hell now I want some coffee....

14. Lea

Lea Member

I love my coffee and love what they do with it at Starbucks. I've tried to get the same effect at home but it just isn't the same.

15. arthur itis

The ability to re-create with consistency, a cup of coffee at home, largely depends on the degree of control you have over:

1) the grind

2)the coffee/water ratio

and

3)duration of brewing (time)

If you have a grinder that will not give a consistent grind, or produces both fines and coarse together, there is a factor of unreliability introduced into the process. Your grinder is at least as important as any other link in the process. Blade grinders are the cheapest types and give the most inconsistency in grind. The best are the conical burr grinders, but even then, some of them give inconsistent results. You have to be willing, unless you buy a second hand or refurbished machine, to spend upwards of a couple hundred bucks on a grinder to get quality grind. The one exception, though not ideal, is the Zassenhaus hand grinders, which you can get for around 70 dollars, and produce a decent grind, using muscle power.

I use a formula that I was taught by a local barista, one that works for me with consistency:

14 grams of beans, measured before grinding

8 ounces of water, not tap, just off the boil

3-5 minutes after stirring in a press-pot (french press)

press and pour

Being that using the above procedure, you've taken the control away from the "coffee-maker", it results in consistency in the brew.

You have to toy around with how fine you grind the bean, and also the duration of brew, to arrive at something you prefer.

Another way to go would be the filter cone, or the vacuum pot. Whatever the technology, consistency is the goal, otherwise you'll never know how to duplicate what you prefer. I prefer the press pot.

I always drink my coffee black, and have a cup of milk on the side for a chaser, sip by sip. This way, I'm tasting the coffee first, not the added ingredients. :)

16. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

ive said it before - the only thing starbucks consistently does is burn their roast and employ shitty baristas.

again - buy coffee bean from Broadway Coffeehouse (you can get it online - it's a KC based cafe/roasterie and is one of the nation's best)

starbucks is all corn syrup and added flavor - to cover the burnt taste of their roast.

again - a good latte from a good barista is unbeatable - but then again, i am spoiled having two sisters that are baristas. one that has been recognized at many espresso conventions (yes there is such things) for her talent

17. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

I don't know. I think I prefer the dark/burnt taste at times. I've only had one place other than Starbucks that can make me a decent soy latte and it was at Whole Foods.

18. BJAC COFFEE

BJAC COFFEE Guest

My fellow coffee lovers,how are you doing today? I need your help. I just started my own online coffee business and we launched it in three flavors of coffee, OG Black, OG Latte, and OG Mocha. Can you buy a box or two from me ONE TIME? If you like the coffee i can show you how to get it at wholesale, if you don't like it, i will never ask you to buy from me again.

www.bjac.organogold.com
    :coffee:

19. serena3

serena3 Member

renewed love for Turkish coffee

20. Hardrockerdave94

Hardrockerdave94 Member

There aren't any Starbucks near me any more, but I find coffee shops to be expensive and not worth it, If I were to go to one it would be Costa.