What your parents tell or told you about your barefoot habits

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Antony14, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Antony14

Antony14 Members

When I was younger than 13 I was forced to have my shoes and socks on all day long till bedtime. My parents would scold me each time I tried to be barefoot even at home! To give my feet a little rest I started to slip shoes off under table while seated and they would scold me for that too. Sometimes I wild hide my slippers and told that i could not find them in order to walk barefoot at least for some time, my feet really got tired of constant footwear and wanted to breathe! Once I lost my flops in a cafe just because I wanted to feel the cold floor under my feet. Parents were ready to hit the roof when they saw me walking in bare feet (!) made me return and find the flops (they were still under the table) after that I was forced to put them back on (my pore feet). Such cases continued until I was about 12 or 13. I was often jealous for other kids who had the opportunity to be with NO shoes on at least sometimes

Did any of you have the same problem in childhood?

P.S Now I'm a barefooter and walk in bare feet whenever possible, but my mom still doesn't know of my barefooting outdoors and wouldn't approve it

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

When I was a baby the woman next door complained to my mother that I was corrupting her daughter because I refused to wear my diaper. I grew up in Hawaii where all I ever wore was a pair of shorts, no underwear, no shoes, nothing else. Even on the commune as an adult I'd often wear just a pair of shorts, not because I'm modest, but because the breeze dries out my skin. The only real problem with running around barefoot everywhere, is you can cut yourself up bad on coconut trees if you don't know how to climb them, and ring worms if you have little kids.

3. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

When I first started going barefoot, my parents demanded I put on shoes and socks, even though it was Florida and summer. I said no, that I wanted to go barefooted. They kept pushing, and I said no, I AM going barefooted. Finally, they gave in. They still hated it, but I have loved every minute in bare feet!!!

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i really don't remember them saying anything about it. my mom was always barefoot a lot, and she didn't make me wear shoes when there was no reason to, and that was pretty much it as far as i can remember.

my dad usually had shoes on, but i don't remember him caring what anyone else wore. me and my mom actually used to make fun of him for always having shoes on.

5. Antony14

Antony14 Members

And what were their arguments? I also told them I wanted to go barefoot, but they did not give up from the first try

6. barefootPatrick

barefootPatrick Members

When I went out to play while growing up my Mom always made me put on shoes. After getting around the corner of the house I would take them off and hide them under the shrubs. I’d run up the street barefoot.

RT19 and Antony14 like this.
  7. RT19

RT19 Members

Interesting question and topic. Would be great to see more responses.

In my own childhood my parents were often pro barefoot especially my dad he was the one that was always saying "take your socks off" or "let your feet breathe" I was when younger quite shy about going barefoot so sometimes going out in bare feet was a struggle until I was 15ish when I overcame this shyness and started to enjoy being barefoot.

My parents never really made any other comments about me and my bare feet and I still happily visit either of them without shoes or socks on.

Antony14 likes this.
  8. Antony14

Antony14 Members

And other children you played with? Were they barefoot too?

9. Antony14

Antony14 Members

But you were lucky to be barefoot at home. I had this opportunity only when my parents were not home.

10. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

Just no shoes in the house
    Not much else

11. Runner woman

Runner woman Banned

My parents didn’t even buy shoes for me as a toddler because they believe it hinders development.
    I’m sure they were right. My feet are strong and tough. I’m able to go barefoot in almost any conditions. I routinely go for 10k trail runs barefoot.
    Children should e encouraged to go barefoot as much as possible imo.

12. barefootPatrick

barefootPatrick Members

No I was the only one barefoot. Used to make a lot of barefoot prints in the baseball diamond at our playground.

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  13. barefootPatrick

barefootPatrick Members

Are you a full time barefooters now?

14. Antony14

Antony14 Members

In warm seasons I try to spend all my spare time barefoot. Of course I'm not allowed to be barefoot at work. I wish I could

BarefootedBoy and RT19 like this.
  15. Antony14

Antony14 Members

On the contrary they tried to discourage me, as you see. I still can't understand why some people are so much against bare feet

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  16. barefootPatrick

barefootPatrick Members

I agree with you that children should be encouraged to go barefoot. I was always told to wear my shoes but rebelled against it. Now my feet are very healthy and extremely strong. The callouses on my soles are like rawhide. I’m always barefoot and hike the mountain trails that way.

BarefootedBoy and RT19 like this.
  17. RT19

RT19 Members

Completely agree that children should be barefoot as often as possible.

I don't run barefoot but I do love barefoot hiking

BarefootedBoy and Runner woman like this.
  18. Antony14

Antony14 Members

I also used to hide my shoes somewhere and walk barefoot when parents could not see me, but I really didn't like the feeling of having my socks and shoes back on returning home. It is not a pleasure for feet after being naked and free for some time.

RT19 likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Don't go barefeet in the streets, don't want to step on a needle.

20. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

They said hippies go barefoot. Also, my parents were super-religious and thought church folk would think we were too poor to buy me shoes. Told me I'd have dirty feet. (Duh.) Said I'd hurt myself, too. A plethora of excuses, none of which were valid. I stood my ground, and they eventually gave up.

Antony14 likes this.