What is the difference in these?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Slasher, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Slasher

Slasher Members

People tell me to "get professional help". But what are they talking about? I've heard of psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, life coaches, relationship coaches, therapists, etc. etc. etc... I don't know the difference in these things. Which one do I need? I'm depressed, but I also need help solving my problems with women (i.e. being a virgin unable to attract women), low self-esteem, and other such problems. Don't know which one to choose, and quite frankly, most of them are beyond my budget. I can't afford $100/session. I'm lost.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't know the differences between therapists, counselors and psychologists, but I do know they can't prescribe medication; a psychiatrist can.

Eric! likes this.
  3. Slasher

Slasher Members

Which ones are suited to my problems?

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm not qualified to dispense advice like that, but if you feel you need to be medicated, seek out a psychiatrist. If you just need someone to talk to and help you work through your issues, go with a therapist/psychologist. I assume if you go to one, they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Eric! likes this.
  5. Slasher

Slasher Members

We'll, I contacted a dating coach today. But she declined me because, let's be honest, she doesn't work with losers like me. I filled out her questionnaire and she said we weren't a fit. I think they only work with bright, successful professionals. I truly think I should just kill myself. It's not going to get any better. It would be the easier route to go.

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

In most cases, there's a way to get better so that you feel glad to be alive

If you are in the US or Canada, you could try calling 211 or visiting 211.org. They can help connect you to healthcare and other services

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication. A doctor (GP, general practitioner, maybe others) can prescribe some psychiatric medications like anti-depressants. So can psychologists.

Talk therapy is often provided by clinical social workers.

7. Slasher

Slasher Members

I will probably begin some king of counseling soon.

newbie-one likes this.
  8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Counseling sounds like a good idea. You might want to try CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It's one of the most successful types of therapy for treating depression. In particular, CBT uses techniques to help you recognize and counter negative thoughts. There's some evidence that you can benefit from learning CBT on your own, so you may want to try getting a book on it or looking up online resources while you are waiting for an appointment.

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

the road to good mental health starts with a general practioner [gp]...a normal doctor...any doctor will refer you to the psych department