Picky eaters

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Dec 14, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

You should meet my brother's wife; she is one of those adults who'd pick fast food over a quality meal. When he first brought her over when they were 18, she refused to eat most of the food on the plate my family served her. She's gotten a tad better over the years since they got married, but she prefers lower quality high-fat foods over any exotic dish. I think part of it had to do with her upbringing in a low income home where her parents never cooked or served her any meal of a decent quality. So fast food and microwavables became her comfort zone. My brother was the same way growing up until he matured out of it.

I also had a 2nd uncle who refused to eat any vegetables; he was too manly for that stuff. "Rabbit food" he called it. He died of a heart attack in his 40s.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. 6-eyed shaman

Vegetarians, people on weight loss diets, religious folks, and people with food allergies I can excuse for their more selective food choices. But that's all. I've prepared meals for guests who won't eat my food, and it hurts when they refuse it for junk food. From what I've seen, people who are closed minded about trying new foods are often the ones who never gave certain foods a 2nd chance since childhood when their taste buds were more sensitive. As a kid I hated zucchini and smoked meats, now I love them.

I'm not perfect myself. There's foods that I don't like. I love salads but I don't like kale. Kale will ruin a good salad; it tastes like paper.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

[​IMG]

4. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Have you prepared meals for people without even asking if they want a meal from you in the first place? If so, you brought it upon yourself. I will absolutely not stuff food down my stomach just to please someone else. If they get all sensitive about it then that's their problem.

Asmodean likes this.
  5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I have this good friend...up until about 15 yrs ago, before having to take lots of meds for arthritis, she was an "average to small size". THEN, she would eat any and everything...now she can't/ WON'T eat guacamole dip "because its green", she refuses to eat at Wendy's because their "hamburgers are square"...she can't (WON'T) just break the effing corners off and "make it round"...because "that's not natural". NONE of her food can touch each other...everything has to be in separate little dishes. She also weighs at over 250. I have another friend that is probably 300+ lbs - neither of these people are tall and would be considered morbidly obese. The 300+ pounder will eat lots of stuff, don't get me wrong - but there are so so so many things she "can't eat this because it isn't cooked right" - meaning its not fried. I HATE GOING OUT TO EAT WITH EITHER ONE OF THESE WOMEN.

I understand there are people that don't want to or can't eat certain foods because of an allergy, and I even understand wanting salad dressing on the side....

I understand that autistic people and some people with Asperger's are unable to eat certain foods, and I don't consider that being picky...they can't help it.

I despise English green peas...I pick them out of any food I eat. I also don't like cooked carrots, but again I'm just able to pick them out. I also am not thrilled with turnips nor turnip greens. However, I am able to work around these items.

I guess I felt I needed to come back and state I understand that some people have reasons they can't eat certain foods, but I wouldn't put them in the picky category.

Those biguns I spoke of earlier...dear God, I dread having to eat with them and my very heart goes out to the poor waitresses that have to take their (ridiculous) orders and the poor cooks that have to prepare it Just So, because they will send it back...I promise they will.

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Also...here is just an observation - I've noticed that big people take their every lovin' time s l o w l y eating their meals, whereas small to avg size people eat quick...and just "git 'er done!" I've always read that when one is trying to lose weight, to eat s l o w l y .

I prefer to take my cue from people that are already small, not having to diet. JUST EAT IT ALREADY! :)

7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

No Known Allergies Here.....I'll Eat Anything And Everything You Put In Front Of Me.....:yum:

Cheers Glen.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Valid point.

9. I am very curious about food and different cuisines. Especially when travelling.
    Imagine going somewhere awesome, and eating at McDonalds all the time. What a waste.

I am a bit iffy about meat though.
    I like stuff like liver, it can be so delicious. And I tried heart too, amongst other things.
    But I never had turkey or duck, I feel kind of bleh about it. I'd give it a try though. Why not...

I noticed a lot of people don't seem to like tomatoes and/or onions.
    Which is a shame, because onions are in EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD.

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Tomatoes might be my favorite food, because they make up the base for the many of the most delicious other foods. And they taste good by themselves, or dressed very simply with salt and pepper.

11. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I'm actually slightly pickier than I used to be, as a kid I would eat virtually anything!

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

in the past two weeks i've had several bouts of stomach illness; once possibly from fish, the other probably from too much sugar. So now that I've recovered I've noticed that I'm noticeably more discerning about what I eat. Now I'm not kidding.. whereas before I would be quick to go have a salad bar at whole foods or something now I have to think about what kind of dressing they will have and whether or not I find that appetizing or if it will make me queazy to load it on the plate. I'm also more notably aware of food recalls, how well food is cooked, and possible salmonella. :)

I think the original post here was about something else, so I'm trying to remember without abandoning this post to draft... was it a cooked meal and turning it down? I would probably be pretty conscientious about something along those lines; though if asked, I may indicate that I would prefer to stick to my diet. :)

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

going somewhere awful and eating mcdonalds all the time would be a waste too.

14. Yeah, I agree. Tomatoes are the best.
    Have you ever had them with pumpkin seed oil?
    I discovered pumpkin seed oil last summer, it has this full, rich, nutty aroma, it's delicious.

15. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I watched a guy pick his nose and eat it the other day.

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's an evolutionary trait. The wise animals who do not eat the poison survives. For example you have to give a reptile in captivity live food. Dead but the same is not enough. In the wild if it's dead there is a reason. Some might say the animal is just not smart enough to hunt without the movement but I don't know there is smell too.

Many get angry over picky eating. It's an insult to mothers all over the world. It modern times it's not as effective I guess. Most food at the grocery store is fine.

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

HEY.......I'm Halfway Through Breakfast Here Dude...... :mad:

Cheers Glen.

thethinkingcat and r0llinstoned like this.
  18. 6-eyed shaman

I concur. I guess I should just feel sorry for picky eaters instead.

They're missing out on some of the nicer things in life.

themnax likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I pick mushrooms out of anything. Also coriander. Yuck.

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Guess he's not a picky eater.