Meat Has Been Bothering Me Lately.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Jimbee68, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

We can defer to your first sentence most likely.

2. You're eating dead bodies.

Irminsul likes this.
  3. If you like eating living things so much why don't you eat more vegetables. They're better than meat. At least they don't have eyeballs. Ask yourself, would you eat a turnip that had an eyeball growing out of it? Yet you eat meat from things which have eyeballs growing out of them. I rest my case.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think there are some practical problems with alternate protein for lots of people. One reason might be what to eat at restaurants. There aren't lots of vegetarian/vegan options. Let alone actual restaurants... That's not to say there aren't other options. I guess it really depends on how strongly you feel.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, unless you don't want to be hungry again in an hour.

Noserider likes this.
  6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

LOL steak doesn't have eyeballs either.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't think meat consumption being linked to our brains getting larger is that new... Or at least, I have known it quite a while. I'm not a vegetarian who denies the historical importance of meat! I do deny the second thing you say there, that it is essential to our diets now (though to an individual who feels it is, I think they SHOULD keep on eating it). I am extremely healthy and fit. Though I am suddenly curious about a proper health check in depth by a doctor.. If I get round to it I'll report in this thread : )

I'm not a vegan, but my favourite ultra runner is and he goes a bit more than okay on it.

This is just a silly thing said often by meat eaters who think vegetarian food means just taking the meat out. It has to be replaced with protein. To be fair, if I described meals I cook all the carnivores would wrinkle their noses up which is why I don't care if others carry on eating meat.. Like, you have to enjoy life.

But yeah, I make amazing food that is healthy and stops me being hungry. The end.

Out of interest: would you meat eaters eat lab grown meat if it became cheaply available?

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I shall fix myself a bacon sandwich in honour of this thread

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Nobody minds if you do : )

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

My thoughts exactly.

If you want to eat meat on a regular basis at least be a responsible consumer goddamnit. Most people still seem apathic in their actions regarding consumption behaviour and how it impacts the environment, quality of life of the consumption animals and to a lesser extent even their own health. And in this day and age its real easy to spend your money responsibly on meat. There's little excuse

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

LOL... :D ....I Did This Very Thing A Few Minutes Ago........Only Dif Being It Was A Bacon And Egg

Sammich With Cheese......Topped With "Fountain" Steak Sauce..... :yum:

Cheers Glen.

13. soulcompromise

Isn't it past midnight? I've heard you're not supposed to eat so close to bedtime. lol

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Or they turn into gremlins?

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'd agree that practicality is an issue. There are some vegetarian/vegan restaurants out here but I wonder what the relative taste and nutrition value is like for the dishes where they attempt to emulate or substitute for meat dishes. Also from the few that I've seen prices for, they are expensive.

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I thought you Aussies ate Vegemite sandwiches :D

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

I bought a slice of some vegan pizza the other day from Whole Foods. It had a meat substitute that reminded me of chorizo, which is a Mexican sausage. It was good, but I wonder how popular it would be with die hard vegans because it imitates meat.

I've tried a protein shake from pea protein. They didn't do a very good job of masking the aftertaste. It was bad, but I've found another plant based protein shake that is good. Plant based protein shakes are supposedly healthier (well... I say supposedly, but the information comes from my dietitian, so officially) than whey protein.

18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

In my experience vegans don't mind things imitating meat.. It's easier than thinking of whole new words and flavours for it.

From the reading I've done today it seems like faux-meat like that is more of a thing over here?

I used to eat a lot of it but I've cut down after being swayed by those who pointed out how processed it is. Most of my protein comes from beans.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

tastes better when you kill it yourself

beachbum86 and Sig like this.
  20. soulcompromise

That's pretty good if you ask me, however my dietitian points out that varying your protein sources is important, as well as other food sources. The way she describes it, if you eat fish every day, after several days your body has a sort of tolerance to the nutrition from that source. You should then switch to turkey or beef.

Also, yogurt can be an excellent source of protein, though many of the companies that sell it load it with sugar. I buy the unsweetened fat free greek yogurt they have in the economy size and then sweeten it myself with some stevia extract (Truvia). It's pretty good and it has 11 grams of protein per half cup serving. That's awesome in terms of protein intake as I typically need about 80 grams of protein per day. I get 20 grams from a protein shake in the morning, some from nuts I eat throughout the day, the yogurt, my lunch which is usually 12 grams of protein from 1/8 pound of turkey or beef or a 4 oz piece of fish (which contains more than 12 grams of protein). Anyway.. yea, yogurt! Who'd of thought... :)

Irminsul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.