Meat Has Been Bothering Me Lately.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Jimbee68, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I figured this was the best part of the boards to post this. And forgive me if any part of what I am saying offends anyone. That was never my intention:smiley:.

But meat has been bothering me lately. Every time I see it, I think of how some poor animal must've suffered to make it. This never happened before, at least that I can recall.

Meat also makes me feel like gagging now. It is literally the carcass of a once-living animal. Not just cruel, but rather unclean too, when I think about it.

What do the rest of you think about this?

:smile::smile::smile:

2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it.. I feel the same type of horror as when I read about humans being slaughtered. But lots of people don't experience this, and you can't make them.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm a carnivorous predator, and I'm fine with that. I have the teeth and gut necessary to eat and digest meat. God and nature know what's up, and I listen to them. If I wasn't supposed to eat meat, I wouldn't be able to. That's how nature works.

Pigs, cows, poultry, fish...none of them are safe from me, human, the Apex predator :)

Orison and tumbling.dice like this.
  4. There's lots of non-toxic things you can digest that you normally wouldn't eat. That's not "how nature works."

I am often disgusted by meat eating. Just because we've evolved to be able to digest meat doesn't mean it's not gross. Would you trust a caveman to prepare you dinner? Cavemen made bad choices by today's standards, and I'm sure that the digestion of bodies was one of them. 'Cause that's all meat is: body parts.

-

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

See the apex predator stalk it's prey in the supermarket aisle...

Whilst I think meat eating is a choice and I don't feel judgement against it, the type of farming and all the pollution etc. is a good reason for people to cut down.

No good saying "we're supposed to, God gave us these teeth and guts" when in practice it's become incredibly unnatural and harmful for the planet.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm with noserider as far as eating meat being in our nature. We're omnivores and that's a fact

But modern factory farming is really inhumane and immoral. And I also dont think humans need to eat as much meat as they do. Meat with every meal is unneccessary

snowtiggernd and guerillabedlam like this.
  7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

8. Noserider

Veggies are factory farmed as well, so, there is that.

Plus, these silly vegans and vegetarians. If you really love animals so much, why are you eating their food? :(

I kid. But in all seriousness, there has been multiple studies that have shown human health declined starting about 10,000 years ago when agriculture played a central role in the human diet. People started eating grains, and our health tapered off. There have also been multiple studies to show the correlation between the consumption of saturated animal fats and the development of the human brain. The results have been conclusive enough that it is challenging preconceived notions about the evolution of man. It was previously thought we got smart, learned to hunt, and then ate meat. Now, scientists are hypothesizing the opposite: we didn't get big and smart in order to eat meat; we got big and smart because we were already eating meat.

It's good for us and is essential to the human diet. I'm just not going to deprive myself of the nutrients nature says I need in order to be healthy.

Dustinthewind likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I am beginning to slow down on meat consumption as my wife is starting a ketosis diet soon and the easiest way for her to reach her goals is to do it with her.

Though I'm totally sneaking cheeseburgers when she's asleep that's for sure.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think you actually want to eat a good amount of meat on the keto diet. You can have the cheeseburger, just cant have the bun with it

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I tried to speak to PR about it, he hasn't responded to me yet. Basically she wants to try the keto diet in the new year, 3 months of aggressive diet with the shakes. I'm not convinced she needs to. She's not even overweight and I tell her clean eat and exercise but she has it in her head this is what she wants to do.

So like a good wife, I'll support her. I'm also the cook, so I'll need to cook for her which will be my food too. We have her birthday and Xmas coming up and those two days will be food so she doesn't want to start the diet now and I have convinced her to start on new years day with those resolutions in her mind.

I cannot sustain the same Diet, I'll be skin and bones that's why I'm pigging out on cheeseburgers hehe. After the 3 months she can eat small amounts of carbs and small portions of meat.

It is going to be tough, especially on me. I worry about her possible mood swings during these 3 months. I don't know what to expect, I guess a thinner wife. But she really doesn't need to, she's ready bought a box of the shake powder so I guess it's getting serious.

Some things she does just doesn't add up to me, but this is the most energetic I've seen her in a while in terms of a hobby, so I will support her and maybe sneak in some sugar just so she doesn't lose too much weight. :p

Meliai likes this.
  12. Noserider

Keto's bomb. We do it off and on. I don't like to stay in ketosis for more than a couple months at a time though. It puts strain on your liver and and is ultimately unnecessary unless you're trying to get your weight to free fall. But basically, we eat keto for a couple months, then eat regular for a couple weeks to stop the ketosis process.

Seems to work for us.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

*Reads thread while eating a steak*

Noserider likes this.
  14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't follow why you need to ask for forgiveness and think that a meat eater might be offended because you don't want to eat meat?

Thinking a meat eater might be offended because you don't want to eat meat is like a gay guy thinking a straight guy might be offended because he doesn't want to sleep with an attractive woman.

Nearly everything we eat is either unclean at one point or has to be selected with discernment. If you just arbitrarily went eating plums off a tree, sooner or later you would be eating bugs.

Many of my other ideas on the topic echo @Meliai and @Noserider. The only other thing I'd expound upon is that I think due to supermarkets and factory farming we're becoming detached from nature in some sense and I think it's easy to overlook the symbiotic nature of predator/prey dynamics.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  15. Christopher Lee

Christopher Lee Members

I recently stopped eating meat again, after several years of enjoying it.

For me, the issue is a sustainable planet. Our world is unnatural in so many ways, and the growth of the Western lifestyle really is a problem for our planet. A vegetarian diet is one of the best things you can do right now to impact our environment right now and in the immediate future.

That's not to say that eating meat isn't natural, or even healthy, just to say that factory farms are a HUGE worldwide contributor to Climate Change.

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think you're onto something, if only in the way of human kindness. :)

I've been vegetarian before; I'm not at present. Moby and Cory Booker are both vegan (random but true...). It's not that much different than my regular diet to be a vegan. But yea, animal death is a BIG consideration. :D

17. Evolution doesn't stop. Just because primitive man gorged himself on body parts doesn't mean future man should. It's disgusting, repulsive, and wrong. And if you stop eating me you don't suddenly suffer brain deterioration. Nor would your children, or your children's children, etc. It's just a lazy means of obtaining protein.

I'd rather eat a bug than poop. Meat has poop in it.

I don't get people who can be disgusted at the thought of cannibalism but act like other meat isn't just as gross. It's the flesh of a once living thing. Eating flesh and skin is disgusting. It makes you barbaric. Our culture is barbaric, though.

18. I eat meat because it's so difficult to find food without meat for me. I live in Iowa so it's meat, meat, meat. People around here would kill me for what I wrote.

But it does disgust me and I like to remind people that's it's completely gross so maybe more options will become available. You know...like...maybe we SHOULDN'T BE EATING DEAD BODIES. Just a thought...wtf...

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

These were living things too...

[​IMG]

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Broccoflower is trippy lookin'. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.