Fasting

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Do any of you guys ever fast?

These days I do one or two 24 hour fasts a week. It really allows me to enjoy my days off without having to worry as much about weight gain.

Plus, I feel great when I fast and have tons of energy (contrary to what most people would think).

I have never done a prolonged fast, nor would I recommend it for most people, but Intermittent Fasting is where it's at from a health and fitness perspective.

ZenKarma likes this.
  2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

What does intermittent fasting do to the body, metabolically? Or, what makes it a healthy practice?

3. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've done it on and off several times. I'm going to get back into it here pretty soon and do it on a weekly basis for a few months. Trying to get clean and lean again.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I would lose too much weight if I did that...

5. Pressed_Rat

Great question.

I think one of the best things about IF is that it increases insulin sensitivity. Many type 2 diabetics have actually reversed their condition through a combination of intermittent fasting and low carb eating.

But along with that there is increased longevity and the reduction of oxidative stress. It also aides in cellular repair throughout the body.

It is also an amazing tool for weight loss and weight maintenance.

There are other things, too, like helping to reduce the risk of cancer and age-related dementia.

Fact is humans were not intended to eat around the clock as many people do today. Intermittent fasting is much more in line with the way humans were most likely intended to eat.

Total Darkness, Eric! and McFuddy like this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

i have wanted to do this, i know it's beneficial for your body to keep on track but.. I get hungry. :p

7. Eric!

You're probably slim enough as it is, and probably don't need to do this

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've been fasting for 23 hours so far.

Pressed_Rat likes this.
  9. Pressed_Rat

That's awesome! It's been about 20 for me.

How often do you do this, and for how long?

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

True, but I also have digestive issues at times. I could probably accomplish a fast day if I was able to sleep correctly but being awake, is hungry.

11. Eric!

What kind of digestive issues? Is it something that a high fiber diet can clean up?

12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Probably about every 10 days for around 20-something hours.

Pressed_Rat likes this.
  13. Pressed_Rat

It's not just about fat loss, though. There are numerous health benefits besides just weight loss.

14. Eric!

True. Another reason I fast is to cleanse myself of the meds and vitamins I have to take, because over time I think they can be poisonous to my system.

15. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I've done water fasting on and off for 3 to 5 days drinking just water when i had a knee injury years ago. I read about the healing power somewhere and decided to try it out.

16. Eric!

Did it work out good for you?

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

IBS. I've tried everything. First few days on fibre works, then my body gets used to it. Same with any other formula. Just breaks everything and anything down to liquids. :( I've had doctors check ups and all that, blood, stool. In the end "IBS". Lately the best thing I tried was a 10 day cleanse with a supplement product designed not to fill your body with probiotics but instead I think they're call metabotics. It goes into your guts and kill all the bad bacteria. Is basically a greens forumla made from fruit peels and vegetables.

Basically with our diets, humans aren't eating seasonable like we used to a hundred years ago. We now farm all of our food to be available every day of the year, and the suggestions are our bodies haven't caught up to this. In the wild we would be eating seasonable. Different diets for different seasons.

I only managed 8/10 days because it's disgusting and even blocking my nose, I just could no longer do it. But even after 8 days I felt really good for a month. The first 6 days were awful though as I could not toilet but it's designed to do that. Since it's destroying all those spores and bacteria your body is creating the lubricants to exit. After 3-6 days your guts are replenished and can starts to create lubricants again and then... Splslhghhsghjgjhhjjjjjhhhh toilet time.

I need to buy it again. But like all supplements, it's expensive.

Eric! likes this.
  18. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

My knees did heal. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. I guess i was just desperate. I also did light workouts for my knees as well.

19. Eric!

Hey Irmi, what's that supplement called?

20. Eric!

Just regular tap water, or was it filtered? Distilled?