bohemians= hippies

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by zinka, Apr 30, 2005.

1. zinka

zinka Member

I recently saw Moulin Rouge, and it made me think of something: does someone else here has the feeling that the late 19 th century bohemians are in fact what we today call "hippies". I mean, they had the same ideals: peace, equality for everyone, love, truth, beauty, freedom, art especially and they even used some "drugs" like absinthe. The only difference is that they weren't related with war in that specific time like "hippies" were with Vietnam war, and of course they didn't listen to the same music, but even today there are hippies who don't like the doors, janis, grateful dead or whoever. Don't you think that all the ideals mentioned before are what make someone a "hippie", not the music or the clothes. But I see everyday more and more people here who don't share those ideals, of course there are some, but rare, it looks as tough that calling yourself a hippie became popular like wearing clothes with labels. That makes me really sad, 'cause I'm afraid that true hippies are extinct.
    But don' get me wrong, I might be having the wrong idea about the whole thing, maybe nobody really does believe in peace, freedom and love( 'cause love can't be taken apart from peace), and if that's true , then I don't want to be called a hippie either!
    Please respond because this really bugs me for quite some time now...

2. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

I don't think of the word 'hippie' as the catch-all term for counterculture, it's really something that belongs only to one time period.

3. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

i agree, or pertains to certain belifs or lifestyles.

But, it's funny you should mention that..i asked something just like you did a while back, and i suppose if you searched far enough on all my posts, you would find it..

4. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

I wouldn't call them "hippies" so to speak...but I think all throughout history there were free thinkers and people that strayed from the pack. The people that didn't fall in line so easily. People that stood up for what they believed in...just were different times and a different cause.

5. zinka

zinka Member

I agree with all that, don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to offend anyone.I see there are true hippies or bohemians, whatever, but I'm saying that false hippies, I might call them fashion hippies give the word a bad taste, not for me, but for others. I usually don't care what other people think, but in this case I do, 'cause how can you spread all this wonderful things we believe in to others, when they have the wrong idea about it? :H

6. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

They were the counterculture folks of their time that'S all

7. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

On my LJ in the name part, I have Bohemian Beatnik Hippie. You can look at it too. It's blueyesraturnon....

8. anastasia

anastasia Member

i understand what you mean, nevermind the terminolgy. in english class weve been reading poems from the romantics like wordsworth and coleridge and i was thinking that they were kind of like the original beatniks/hippies whatever- something to think about