Are you a vegetarian purist?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by celestasia, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

The meaning of vegetarian is someone who eats NO meat. I guess I must be a purist, because if you eat meat, you are not a vegetarian. Period. If a person reduces his or her meat intake, great, whatever, but that person is still a meat eater, not a vegetarian. Specific sub-definitions (lacto, ovo-lacto, ovo) aside, meat eating absolutely precludes one from being a vegetarian. Fish and chicken eating "vegetarians" and "vegetarians" who only eat meat once a week merely cause confusion for those of us who actually are vegetarian.

BTW, a Vegan is a person who uses no animal products whatsoever. Being a Vegan involves much more than simply what you choose to put in your mouth. So please don't try to water down the term Vegan by suggesting that it is somehow the replacement for the word Vegetarian.

2. celestasia

celestasia Member

Forgive me a little bluntness in this one paragraph. I haven't brought down the name of vegan or vegetarian because I forgot to put "and all animal products". If you are going to correct this error then you are welcome to, but don't accuse me of stuff I'm not doing. Whether vegan grew to replace vegetarian kind of depends if the person accepts other vegetarians that eat some meat as vegetarians. So I'm not going to state either way due to the fact that would be circular. Okay?

You can say that anyone who eats meat is not a vegetarian. This what this thread is for. However, there are sub divisions that are in the catagory of vegetarians. For example semi-vegetarians (or pesco/pollo vegetarianism), freeganism, and flexitarians, which even I agree aren't vegetarians. However, it is true that the origional British definition for the word vegetarian has changed a bit. My point being, these groups branched from vegetarians, and even though some people, which I haven't stated any problem with, do not accept these groups and more technically they all fit under the main group. For example you have Mormons, Protestants, and Catholics,not to mention non-denominationlists. Some may not consider Mormonism "true" Christianity. However, all three technically fit under the Christian religion. It's a matter of opinion and theology.

BTW, I'm a lacto-vegetarian, and I'll give traditionally vegetarian is ment for those who don't eat meat, and most but not all dictionaries would agree with you.So, I've finished my point. I was never trying to persaude or get into a debate. I was simply getting involved in my own thread.

3. celestasia

celestasia Member

Also, not pointed at anyone in particular, but there has been a lot of your an idiot/liar if you don't agree with such and such about vegetarianism. Although I am not the owner of this website, I did create this thread, and I would appreciate it if people would be a little more civil.This is suppose to be the "Hip Forums." I just think people who are on hippie designed forum would be slightly more open minded about things. As far as how I used the term "open minded" I meant about :" if your this then your not this" opposed to:" if you aren't this/agreeing with this, you are not just wrong but a liar and dumb."

4. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

Sorry I sounded snappy. But when you've been offered fish enough times as a "vegetarian" entre, and when you've actually found chopped up chicken in your "vegetarian" chili, you tend to lose your sense of humor about certain subjects.

I think it's fair to say that a variety of non-vegetarian interests have attempted to hi-jack the term vegetarian. I think it's also fair to say that most "real" vegetarians do not appreciate it.

Oh, BTW, I just want to clarify that ignorant and stupid are not the same thing. An ignorant person is simply uneducated on a given subject. It's not meant to be an insult.

5. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Meh, if you consider yourself vegetarian and eat cheese or eggs or whatever... then you are, that's your theory, and your ideals; I wouldn't say someone is NOT a veggie because of that, however, I myself could not find it in my heart to be okay to eat other animal products, and I wouldn't feel like any sort of vegetarian either---

Vegetarian to me, means that I eat vegetation... cheese and eggs and such, is not vegetation. But, I don't knock down others for differing views; everyone has a different stance on that issue.

What DOES bother me though... is people who think that you can be a vegetarian and still eat fish or poultry.

For example, I was eating a salad one day with one of my friends, and she was asking me about my vegan lifestyle, asking what it consisted of .... and went on to say "Well you can still eat cheese right? And vegetarians eat like fish, but you dont?" And I said "No, sister... Vegetarians, do not eat anything that was ALIVE, as a living, breathing, creature. And vegans don't eat any of that plus, we don't eat anything obtained FROM those creatures like cheese, milk, eggs, gelatin...etc."

She goes on to say, "Wow...well thats weird, I know a few vegetarians who still eat like, fish and chicken" and it literally made me want to scream.

I am a vegan because of the ANIMALS and the environment, and if III were to say "Oh yeah, I eat fish" that's a total oxymoron and defeats the whole purpose in doing so!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't those who just dont eat red meat, kosher? Or is it something else?

Whatever it is, I do not even CONSIDER it even CLOSE to vegetarian. It goes against everything I believe.

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Well yeah, that is kinda like saying "I'm celibate, but I still fuck asian chicks."

7. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

And by the way, yeah the whole label thing is out of control at times, I often just dont even mention that I'm a vegan, unless of course I come across other vegans or veggies, its fun to discuss things---

but I just can NOT accept it when people think that its okay to eat fish or poultry as a *vegetarian* It gives me the impression that people aren't seeing fish or birds as animals, as creatures, and that's total bull. They are just as important as a dog or a cat. It makes me just want to scream when someone has this idea that a fish is not an animal, and that they don't *feel*

I'll give a person props for cutting red meat out of their diet, as its a step forward IMHO.... but, I cant agree if they think it's morally OKAY to eat a fish or bird. I won't bash them for it, but that is where my moral ideals would differ.... in a huge way.

8. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

LMAO, right on!!! It's just a total oxymoron...

9. Elle

Elle Senior Member

ha..that made me laugh out loud.

apples & oranges...i totally agree. it drives me mad when someone offers me meat, i say "no i am a veg" and then they say "well how about some fish?"
    i always figured that common sense would tell people that fish dont grow from trees but i guess i was wrong.:rolleyes:

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

this study was funded by the National Egg Board.
    use that info as you wish, but I question motivation and methodology.

11. drumminmama

kosher and halal are religious diets proscribed in the Torah and Quran.
    Kosher allows poultry, locusts, lamb, cows, fish with fins and scales (no bottomfeeders like catfish or shellfish)
    All veggies and fruits are kosher.
    not eating red meat is "eating healthier."

12. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

lol okay, I was pretty much expecting that you would answer that question for me :) And thank you.

I think I remember seeing a post about the kosher thing by you a while back, but I couldn't quite remember what it consisted of. Sorry that I got that wrong :&

13. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

LOL, yes! I always say that to someone who asks me if I eat fish... I'll say something like "Do you really consider fish a plant? Do you have a fish tree in your front yard? "

14. drumminmama

wha??? it doesn't come from sea weed?????? (rolls eyes)