Are you a vegetarian purist?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by celestasia, Sep 16, 2005.

1. celestasia

celestasia Member

Are you a vegetarian purist? Just asking, no pressure. What I a mean is are you one of the people who only consider certain vegetarian diets truly vegetarian? People become vegetarians for multiple reasons enviorment, health, repulsion, animal rights, and plenty of other reasons. I get the feeling that this group tends to be for people who are vegetarians that don't eat any kind of meat. Although even if you eat dairy products your technically by denotation not really a herbivore.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on and possibly stereotyping and/or posting anything offensive. Point being. I don't care if most of you only recognize certain vegetarian diets, and this doesn't mean I eat meat. I just need to know. Thank you for your patience.

2. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Yes.

I recognize a "vegetarian" as a person who does not consume any meat, eggs, or poultry.

Hence, I consider a lacto-vegetarian to be a full-fledged vegetarian.

However, I do not consider ovo-"vegetarians" or pesco-"vegetarians" to be full-fledged vegetarians. I consider them ovatarians and pescatarians.

And of course, a vegan is also a full-fledged vegetarian, and something more.

3. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

i don't see why eating eggs should be the same as eating poultry. is it murder everytime your gf has a period and you don't get her pregnant? its essentially the exact same thing. i don't eat meat, poultry, pectin, gelatin, whey powder, rennet ect ect, because they were all produced using dead animal products, since an egg was never alive inteh first place i don't see the ahrm

4. Hikaru Zero

Dangermoose, you make a valid point. However, eggs are a biological structure, even if it is primarily protein. That being said, milk is produced to be used as a food, and eggs are produced to become animals. That is why I believe a lacto-vegetarian is a vegetarian, and an ovatarian is not; because eggs are designed to become animals, they are essential the incomplete prototype to an animal, DNA included, which is far closer to meat than to what I'd consider to be "food" or nourishment. Whether eggs are wasted or not is irrelevant, it's the consumption of such that I am concerned with. But, I do appreciate your view and I'm glad you brought it up.

5. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

so let me ask you this, have you ever eaten out your gf on the rag?

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

theirs a world of difference between oranic free range eggs and the opposite which is something i'd rather not describe. organic free range eggs are the only animal product i consume by my own choice. everything else is stuff my mom brings home occasionally.

i dont even consider some vegans pure. many of em drink pepsi, and that to me is almost as evil a corporation to be supporting as the meat industry. ethical eating means more than not supporting factory farms, even though i totally support that decision. i just think we should all shop at healht whole natural food stores to protest the 'food' they sell at grocery stores.

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

one alzo might make the argument that eggs simply arent meant to be digested by the human body(coming from an occasional egg eater). they clog your blood flow and your being consequently i thinj. animal products cannot be apart of your diet if you are doing it for purely spiritual reasons, like if you are a raw vegan for example. animal products mess your energy up and if you ever fast or try raw veganism for a day or 2 youll realize this.

8. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i concider myself a pure vegatarian but i define that as eatting nothing with a face

& ofcourse i allow others to define it as they choose..
    i'm not the type vegatarian that insists on condemning others for theyre choices, if they think fish or poultry is ok..fine..theyre entitled to think that..but sometimes i cant help explain my reasonings without seeming like theyre worse then me for not making the same choices.

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

lol io know what you meanb about not making them seem worse when explaining yourself. poultry and fish ARE better than cows and pigs imo if you must eat meat. way less pollution. shit fish can actually be good for you even though theirs better things for you like hemp seeds and flax etc. its all about human evolution, twinkies being the worst, then fish, then flax, and then hemp if that makes any sense.

10. Hikaru Zero

I don't have a girlfriend, brother. (Don't worry, I don't take offense =P)

11. celestasia

celestasia Member

So your takeing vegetarianism as not only a diet but a way of life. I, myself, don't eat eggs, but I don't consider them a meat. Personally the way I look at it, it kind of depends on the reason you become a vegetarian to begin with. If it is because of animal rights, then these people look at vegetarianism through that view. Now, if people are doing it for health reasons they look at vegetarianism in a different light. They maybe lacto-ova vegetarians because recently (this goes back and forth I'm not saying this is my opinion) a study said it is good to have an egg once a day.

So, I guess vegetarian is a self-defined term for some people. However, ova-vegetarianism did branch off of vegetarianism, so technically it does fit into the broad range of vegetarianism. I don't have a problem with what kind of vegetarian people decide to become, and I'm not, personally, going to say "uh, your not a vegetarian." Now, if you wanted to argue that ova-vegetarians don't follow the mainstream lifestyle of vegetarianism that's different. However, there is a difference between a certain type of diet and a lifestyle. See my point?

12. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i once ate nothing but oranges for 2 months (well after week 3 started having brown rice fridays to keeep from shitting myself silly) & although i had more energy then i've ever thought possible (i couldnt simply walk somewhere..i skipped & bounced & almost defied gravity) but i highly doubt that this was a healthy way to live & definately wouldnt concider it any more pure then any other choices
    a pure diet is a diet you stick to that makes you happy..so the only thing i'd call a non-pure vegatarian is those who have an occassional steak or hamburger..

but then again..thats ok to..if thats the diet they chose to stick to

13. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I'm getting to the point where I'm really bored of labels. What's the point trying to define what is this or isn't that? I see a cruelty-free life as the ultimate (if unattainable) goal, and we should keep taking as many steps as we can towards that end. But it's a road, not a destination. As such, defining yourself as 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' serves little useful purpose, except maybe as a waypost along the journey. I'm a vegetarian, but the idea of worrying over whether eggs techincally are or aren't acceptable within that definition strikes me as an utter waste of time. I'd sooner concern myself with looking towards the next goal that piss around trying to decide whether I can apply a particular label to my current diet.

14. Elle

Elle Senior Member

as of now i eat no meat, and altho no eggs or dairy directly i do eat things made with eggs and dairy so i am not vegan......as of yet. i am currently educating myself on veganism and learning more about the health aspect of it and then i will do the switch. i dont really see eggs as murder, per se......but i do believe that it is not right to use animals in any way shape or form for our benefit. even organic eggs, raised on a farm i dont agree with b/c those eggs belong to those chickens.....taking them is flat out stealing (stealing their precious young no less!) and it is the same with milk. that milk does not belong to me.

15. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Do agree with DoktorAtomik
    Even so, I can be a bit of a purist.
    Can let the odd bit geltain or slid, but no fish. You have to drawn the line somewhere. Otherwise what's the point.
    It's just so irritating when people take on these labels without proper research and then prompt confusion for the rest of us.

16. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Not if they're unfertilised ;)

17. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

To my mind, a vegetarian is a person who doesn't eat meat. That includes fish and poultry. Anyone who identifies him/herself as a vegetarian who eats fish and/or poultry is either woefully ignorant or a liar. As far as things like gelatin and cheese made with rennet are concerned, while they are not technically vegetarian, most people are so ignorant about what they eat I really can't hold it against someone to call themselves a vegetarian and then eat some gummy bears or parmesan cheese.

As far as I'm concerned, eggs are vegetarian.

I'm Vegan, so I don't eat any meat, dairy, eggs, honey or trace animal ingredients.

18. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i'm vegan. i don't feel i can be at one with the earth if i'm harming it directly in any way.

i feel more at peace now.

19. celestasia

celestasia Member

Orignally vegetarian from the Brits meant someone who didn't eat me. However, this is not the meaning of it any more. This is why the have the term vegan. Vegetarian has now become a term of someone who doesn't eat any meat or reduces their meat intake, and I think you guys all misunderstood what I meant by vegetarian purisist. I meant the people who have an idea about what a "real" vegetarian does and does eat, and one who doesn't include some branches of vegetarians as a branch of vegetarians.

20. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Oh well when you put it like that ...

Hell yeah I'm a purist, an utterly unashamed one at that.
    Right, once more, for the record...

Vegetarian = eat no meat
    Omnivore = eats meat (in whatever shape/form/circumstance)
    Meat = flesh of living creature; be it mammal, bird, or fish.
    Pescatarian = one who eats fish, but no meat
    Moron = one who fails to understand and/or apply the above.

Honestly, how can that possibly be complicated or allow for variation?

I totally commend people who are reducing their meat intake, even pescatarians are fine by me.
    What pisses me off is when they say they're a vegetarian when no they freaking well aren't. It spreads misinformation and makes life difficult for the rest of us.

OK I'm gonna stop not before I fuck up my blood pressure.