Annoying stuff about the holidays

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by la Principessa, Dec 13, 2018.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

obviously that's what i should do, but i can pretty much guarantee the day will come and go without a thought of christmas shopping going through my head.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I hate the pressure to buy people gifts. My style of gift giving is more individualized and I love to happen upon something that is perfect for an individual person--and the expectation to purchase a bunch of generic gifts for people is a maddening and stressful.

3. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I drank a shit ton of mulled wine last night at a Christmas market. $1 per cup.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I dislike all the complaining most.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Someone mentioned 'Secret Santa' at work last week and my blood pressure increased a little. I was trying to motion her to stfu before anyone heard. No one has said any more about it thank God. We quit doing the office party a couple of years ago and all go out to eat at Majestic Steakhouse instead; that I can handle.

la Principessa likes this.
  6. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Same here. I'm fucking broke this year because people got me gifts and then I'm like shit I have to get them something now. Not that I mind but I always feel like they're going to think I don't care as much as they do.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Make a donation in their name to The Human Fund. Money For The People!

Irminsul likes this.
  8. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Parking lot mayhem. :rage:

KL71 likes this.
  9. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

Just mayhem with the parking, D? Ask somebody (me) who worked for Walmart for 7 straight Black Fridays...when it was still only that one day (2003 to 2009)! I don't have money or children. The place I'm staying at doesn't even have a single decoration up. That's by design and for my relative owning a cat. Ha ha!

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I agree with Asmo. My biggest complaint is all of the complaints. Everybody tends to shroud themselves within a whirlpool of negativity.

If it's not the people it's the music, or the prices, or you own attitude toward the holiday itself. I mean sooner or later you need to reflect and come to the conclusion that maybe your negativity is the problem, maybe you're just the problem.. and not the lights or the music.

Driftrue and Orison like this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

No... It's the people, and the music, and the lights, and the........

Seriously.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If you day it enough times it just might come true.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

What does this even mean?

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It means just like your Christmas complaints, you're just picking on the small things for the sake of picking on small things.

15. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

The holidays are great when you don’t celebrate them. Easy Peasy

16. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I think it's more that the little things bother people way more when they're already stressed out because of the holidays. It's a culmination of everything and it becomes overwhelming. I try to catch myself when I'm being a negative nelly and think about happy things.

So far my busy weekend was pretty fun. I still haven't wrapped gifts but I'll get to it next week.

17. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

The only that comes to mind is busier work days. Other then that i really enjoy this time of year. Especially with the way things are going this year so far for me.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  18. quark

quark Parts Unknown

No more kissing underneath mistletoe. That’s assault.

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yeah, at the end of the day I do enjoy the vibe this time of year--and I love all of the lights, the Christmas music, very soothing and nostalgic. And Christmas cookies.

Total Darkness likes this.
  20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

This thread baffles me.

Seriously, any part of Christmas that stresses you out or leaves you financially depleted... just stop doing it. You are not obliged to do this to yourself. You don't have to give in to the pressure.

One day, it'll be the thing everyone does. It'll be trendy to reject consumeritsmas. But it takes brave people to be the first, and risk having everyone think they're assholes. Apparently. I mean, who do you people even surround yourselves with? NO-ONE in my life will think i'm an asshole for not doing the xmas thing. Why the hell would anyone care about people who will think you're an asshole for not wanting to do this stuff which it seems MOST people find stressful and difficult.

It's not like I don't celebrate and have fun. Same as I do the rest of the year.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  21. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

unless you want to go get some food on christmas or something. then you're out of luck.

hell, i have a hard time even finding an open gas station. which is crazy, considering how many people travel on holidays.

i was actually told last year that our work christmas thing was mandatory, after i tried to get out of it.

22. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I hope you got paid for attending then