A Highlander Lives in America
Color
Background color
Background image
Border Color
Font Type
Font Size
  1. Something that I say to Millennials at work. They don't always seem to get it.
  2. I don't travel much, but when I do I tend to be fussy about what I eat when I'm on the road. I bring my own tea, teapot, tea kettle, coffee, measuring devices, hot plate, cook ware, and mess kit. Sounds like overkill, I know, but there's nothing worse than paying a butt-load of money for a meal that gives you a tummy ache.

A few years back I was preparing myself for a trip to Costa Rica. I had been told that their national dish, gallo pinto, is a staple for breakfast and may also be eaten for one or more remaining meals of the day. I only recall eating beans for breakfast in the UK (on toast) and I don't recall ever having had rice in the morning.
    So I prepped myself by making it for a few weeks before my trip. I loved it so much that I keep it in the fridge at all times. Most of the time time I add cut up meat or an egg. Well, I put my breakfast foods in the hotel fridge. After two days, I noted that two of the eggs had cracked. Seems the temperature was quite low and because of this two of the eggs had frozen. In freezing they expanded and then cracked.
    Never had that happen before. Need I say what happened to the rice. It also froze and each grain was like a little stone. Yuck.
    Live and learn.
    PS - Isn't this Costa Rican guy cute as a bug's ear?
  3. In the nursing program, our instructor had a few commands that he used to love bellowing out. Two that come to mind are, "Encourage fluids," and "Mobilize secretions!"
    Having sinus congestion seemed like such a petty complaint when I was younger. I always imagined a person would simply spray something up there or take a pill and everything would just soften up and disappear. For me, it seems to build up seasonally. And in my part of southern California when the year is dry, the season of rain can stir up an unbelievable assortment of irritants and pathogens.
    I have taken to use an old fashioned remedy of irrigating with some warm salt(ed) water administered through something similar to a teapot. The water is supposed to flow to gravity. Pour it in one nostril while tilting your head in the opposite direction and the liquid and gunk and boogers and slime will spill from the other nostril. Doesn't always happen that way. And, more often than not, the salt water will remain stagnant somewhere inside the sinus cavity with the gunk and boogers and slime. "Not at all attractive to my way of thinking," as Miss Mary Poppins would say.
  4. From the Wiki: " The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a pseudoscientific self-report questionnaire that claims to indicate differing personality types. The test attempts to assign a binary value to each of four categories: introversion or extraversion, sensing or intuition, thinking or feeling, and judging or perceiving. One letter from each category is taken to produce a four-letter test result representing one of sixteen possible personalities, such as "INFP" or "ESTJ". "

It also looked to sum things up with the following two sentences:
    "Warm, considerate, gentle, responsible, pragmatic, thorough. Devoted caretakers who enjoy being helpful to others."

I'm never quite sure why it is that I subject myself to answer some of these ridiculous test questions. Many of them are not applicable. I use extremely little analysis in my life. Most of the time the skill set is required, it is applied to my checkbook or credit card statement. "How will I pay this?" "Where will the money come from?" "What do I need to do to fix this?"

I find these curious. Most people I know don't fully understand me. In a support GROUP, I am usually the only one who doesn't speak. Part of my job life--representative for labor in the workforce--often has me up against supervisors or managers who believe they are protected and above reproach. Character assassination is not part of my modus operandi. However, I am loyal to those I serve and I sometimes have to go OUTSIDE my comfort zone to make sure that things that should happen do happen.

Losing friends and friendships are very difficult situations for me. I don't have many to begin with. I lose them either because they feel I have slighted them in some way or because they simply die. Of course, I have also come in contact with a number of people over time who turn out to be somewhat mentally ill. For them, there is no way, shape, or form that I could participate in 'fixing' their situation. Still and all, losing someone because he/she/they/it feels I am threatening makes me feel unhappy. But friending a paranoid person is strenuous.

Sometimes I wish I could find a mate to this.
  5. There are two types of people in this world: Breakfast-eaters and breakfast-skippers.
    [​IMG]
    I fall into the former category. And--given the choice--I would most certainly select the Costa Rican combination of beans and rice with egg.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice