You probably need more CHERVIL in your life

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 188

I make a trip to an herb shop about twice a year. Seems rather infrequent considering the fact that I prepare most of my meals from scratch, but I have learned over the years to be rather sparse with the seasonings (sometimes using 1/4- or 1/8-teaspoon of an herb or spice at a time). "Less is more."

I cannot say the moment that I came upon chervil, but I fell in love with it immediately. I can't say that I have ever had the fresh variety of it, but I certainly use it in most everything that I eat; eggs, cheese, soups, salads. It's lighter and is generally added towards the end of the preparation.

Sadly, I find myself at odds with people who are fond of Mexican fare. Many of the spices of that cuisine have aromas that are unpleasant to me and some taste g*d-awful to me. (I remember when I first smelled cumin, I thought it was armpit and was certain that the food was rancid)!

I think that a spice rack tells a lot about people. I marvel at some of the ridiculous spice racks that are pre-assembled with things such as pickling spice or cream of tartar. Never used either of them. Yet, I have known people who are completely unfamiliar with French tarragon, summer savory, dill, or smoked paprika. I must admit that I seldom use cinnamon, but it is nonetheless always available. I also keep chives, and shallots, and garlic in jars ready for action.

Oh well, tonight is pasta night. The tomato gravy will have its obligatory basil and oregano. Life is sweet when it has just the right amount of seasonings.
PGA likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice