You Are What You Eat: I'm Mediterranean Now

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 256

I'm a weight watcher. Not the brand name. Just someone who can easily get heavy... heavy beyond normal limits.
UNDERWEIGHT - HEALTHY - OVERWEIGHT - OBESE
Below 18.5 18.5-24.9 25-29.9 30 and higher
This is body mass index. It's created using a formula. It claims to measure body fat.

From the Cleveland Clinic:
The 411 on BMI for men
BMI uses math to measure your body fat: It’s your weight in kilograms divided by your height in meters squared.

“BMI gives you an overall health assessment. Your number indicates if you’re in the healthy, underweight, overweight or obese range,” says Dempers. “But it doesn’t factor in body fat or muscle mass, so there are BMI limitations.”

BMI is one-size-fits-all — it doesn’t account for naturally occurring body differences. “It’s the same BMI chart for men and women, even though women typically have more body fat than men,” adds Dempers.

But in a time-crunched society, the benefits of BMI measurements are clear. “Many physicians use it because it’s a quick, affordable assessment for the general population: average-sized people who don’t exercise regularly,” says Dempers.

BMI gives a fairly accurate measurement of where people fall in the weight range and whether the extra weight has them on the verge of Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other conditions. “It can motivate people to jump-start a healthier lifestyle,” he explains.

I'm kind of stuck with it as it's used at work. 125-158 is the range of healthy weight for me. I weighed 125 when I was 13 years old. Now, 50 years later, I've got to knock of 20 pounds just to get me to the highest weight in the normal range.

I must admit, I do like going to a farmer's market every week. It's the only time I have cash in my pocket. I get access to quality produce. There are some things I wouldn't look at twice and things that I know I would never need. Normally, I hate being outside so the outdoor market is something I prefer to breeze through rather than linger at. My finds generally repeat from week to week; carrots, apples, pears, fruits in season. I've shied away from making salads with the exception of cucumber salad or cucumber and tomatoes. The leafy green tossed salad isn't something that I 'do' every day. I have found that buying lettuces in bulk don't always stay fresh for the entire week. And the quality of the packed leafy greens is not generally the highest quality or best value.
"Ich kann ununterbrochen so viel essen, wie ich will, und nehme nie ein einziges Dekagramm zu."
The phrase is chilling and haunting to me. I have heard it said in numerous ways. "Before I gave birth to Jonathan, I could eat a gallon of ice cream every night and not gain an ounce. Now I can't seem to shed that baby fat."
Yeah, right!
Oh well, for now it's the Mediterranean life for me.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice