Passing Judg(e)ment on a Shopping Cart

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 428

Sometimes my titles sound more like poems than they do the onset of an expository rant or rave. This afternoon I found myself in the local over-priced grocery store and felt almost compelled to complain about what was in front of me. There was an elderly couple (she with a cane and he with two hearing aids) that had a wagon filled with crap; Campbell's chicken noodle soup in the large can, salted saltines (is that redundant?), buttermilk waffles, butter. Is there a pattern here? Now one could say, "Maybe they have grandkids and like to stock up on food for them?"
To that I say... well, I say something that's not fit for print. They should be setting an example of superior eating habits. I wound up keeping my mouth shut. And I don't mind telling you that I felt very smug when I put on the counter fresh peaches, white dolphin-safe tuna in water, whole grain bread and oatmeal.
And as I wheeled my shopping cart to the end of the parking lot so that old folks could have a shorter distance to walk, I felt somehow superior to those who just don't know how to shop. And each puff of Marlboro was exhaled in righteous indignation!
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice