Módl się i Pracuj !

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 608

I know I'm probably a bit pretentious with these foreign language titles that I create, but somehow the titles inspire the text from me. The title is a Polish imperative and it means, "Pray and Work". Oddly enough, the verb to pray in Polish is a reflexive. Maybe it should be one in English as well. We say, "I wash myself," and "I dress myself." Why not "I pray myself?"
I came this close to posting something in the vegetarian forum. I'm trending and tending towards a conversion on the vegetarian spectrum. I've done it before and was relatively successful with it. Then I moved into a house that had an Italian cook who didn't believe in plants, and grains, and beans, and pulses as actual sources of protein. He was obsessed with the sources of protein and insisted that only animal proteins provided the highest numbers that he needed. Tofu was not even up for discussion. These days it's easy to find sites that bash bean curd from here to kingdom come. Yeah, sure, if you're eating tofu three times a day I'm sure it will have an effect on the body (much the same way that pork or beef would too).
When I think of vegetarian life and living I also consider weight loss and healthier choices. Part of the negative outcome from a 15+ year life with an Italian cook is the fact that I grew to be 80 pounds overweight. Mind you, I don't put that on him (although he did go haywire every time I would measure or weigh the food on my plate). I'm looking at breakfast dishes since it's my favorite time of the day. Mornings are when the days start and I have the responsibility and greatest opportunity to set the tone for how the day will commence and continue. Mornings are the time of day when I choose between coffee and tea (the choice makes a difference!). I also feed and water the animals. Mornings are a place and time when the kitchen is cleansed and blessed. I pray over the food at the beginning of the day (alas, the other two meals get no such reverence).
What food would celebrate the morning? I've tried granola and fruit cups/fruit salad. I have had cold cereal and milk. I've also taken to making a variety of different hot cereals that can be refrigerated and reheated (steel cut oats, red berry winter wheat, farro, hulled barley, groats). I also love eggs, sourdough bread, and cucumber and tomato salad. All of this falls under the vegetarian umbrella. Skip the eggs and this could all be vegan.
Since I don't consume carbohydrates throughout the day, I don't mind pounding the majority of them into the breakfast meal. Other than that, I might have about 2-3 ounces of pasta at dinnertime. Lunch is carbohydrate-free. But I'm just trying to think of something that might make the morning a tad bit more fun. I was looking at Mediterranean meals (mostly the Israeli breakfast). I'm not interested in eating hummus or tahini; spreads that are made from chickpeas or sesame seeds are not in my repertoire. Actually, since I now deprive myself of peanut butter because of the calories, I don't feel like replacing it with anything else.
So, after I've finished cooking my last two chicken breasts, and also finished the tuna and salmon that are in cans in the cupboard, I will once again take on the vegetarian challenge and hopefully get some answers on what to look for for breakfast.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice