Long Grain White

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 203

There are many things that I have discovered late(r) in life. That's not to say that I didn't previously know about these things, but rather these things were not incorporated into my daily life experience or consciousness. Tea, for example, was something that we had in the house, but months could go by without consuming any. The same goes for rice.
When I decided to change my eating habits to loose weight and to make healthier eating choices, I was selective about my carbohydrates. They were going to be significantly scaled down in mass and/or volume, so I wanted to maximize their consumption by choosing a higher quality. Pasta is from Italy. Sorry, but it's a bias that isn't going away any time soon. And pasta is made from semolina. Period. Now I could have pasta made of corn or chick peas if someone else is making it. But for me... it's the genuine article from the Boot. And don't get me started on 'zoodles'.
Rice, however, is a different story. I only cook the white long grain variety. I try to find grains that are made in the USA and that are not genetically altered. Organic certification is also essential. Why bother spending money on grain that's been sprayed with toxins? I found the perfect recipe for 18 minute stove-top rice and once the water boils, the rice is added, and the heat is reduced, one need only let the rice rest for five minutes before consuming it.
I know there are many varieties of rice out there... brown, black, arborito, sweet, jasmine, etc., but long grain white seems to be the American standard for Americans who consume it. When I was growing up on the east coast, Carolina was the brand of choice. On the west coast, I have not found any particular brand to which I am committed. I usually get store brands or loose rice from the bin at the health food store. I always say NO to GOYA, but that is for political reasons and nothing more.
Rice is the additive to most of the soups that I consume. I also eat it with eggs in the morning (accompanied by beans). It can be served with a tiny amount of sweet butter. I generally steam it to warm it up rather than put it in the microwave. Microwaved reheated rice tends to get hard and crunchy. And who wants that? I use a stove top egg poacher sometimes; one metal cup for the beans, one for the rice, and one for the soon-to-be-poached egg.
One day I think I might have the medical examiner open me when it's time to harvest the organs and pass them around for recycling. He/they/it/she will look at the tissue and the organs and say, "My, my, my! I have seen cadavers in my day, but this one appears to be one of the healthiest for its age. Everything is pink. There are no cysts, no bumps, no lumps, no masses. Everything is so well-hydrated. And I can't find a trace of any animal fat anywhere. This man cooked with steamed filtered water and consumed extra virgin olive oil of a superior quality I could not even begin to imagine. Whoever receives these organs is in for a surprise and a treat. They are as healthy an organically-gestated newborn's!"
I'm sure there are user groups or listservs that are dedicated to rice. I work with Asian healthcare professionals and that grain is always in their lunchbox.
Today is Friday. It's also pay day. I have tuna, crackers, rice, lentil stew, and fresh fruit in my tote sac. What could be finer?
PGA likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice