I Speak Old(e) English

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 547

http://www.hubcapannie.net/

There's a store not too far from my college and home called Hub Cap Annie. If I were frivolous with my pennies, I'd probably keep her rolling in dough. One of the younger classmates I sat next to in a science class asked me what a hub cap was. OMG did I feel old.
Then I started thinking about a lot of the words in my own active vocabulary that are either unknown or that have simply fallen out of use.
I listen to records. They are now called vinyls (which no one listens to). I refuse to use the term because 78s are not vinyl. I don't think 45s are either.
Loose leaf is also pretty unknown. They call them binders. To me a binder is something you put on a person to stop that person from bleeding... or to keep a wound intact.
I have no idea what a stereo is called these days. Probably home entertainment system, but that might be obsolete too.
I say CD when the bank tells me that it's time to cash in or roll over.
The bank laughs at me when I pull out a ledger book each time I make a deposit into the savings account. It's the argument of "You don't issue passbooks" and they respond with "We give you a statement." I counter attack with "You also give me a checking account statement, but I still have to write it down."
Now technology uses color words such as blue tooth and black berry. I have neither. My cell phone weighs about 1/4 pound and doesn't take photographs. I also have an older phone that weighs even more... I use it as an alarm clock.
When someone asked me what I was doing over the summer, I said that I was trying to learn MORSE Code. "Why? No one sends SOS messages that way anymore."
And so it goes...
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice