I Didn't Know That... and I'm FROM Ohio !

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 513

Sometimes Wikipedia can be a hoot. My friends know that I'm raising backyard chickens in the front yard. And naturally everyone asks what kind of birds they are. Well, that's an honest question. Not that most people know the breeds of chickens, but they like to hear some of the names. So I tell them that they are Silkies, Auracanas, Cinnamon
Queens, French Cuckoo Marans and Buckeyes.

"Buckeyes? What's that?"

So I say to myself, "I just said, 'Cuckoo and Cinnamon Queen' and you want to know what a buckeye is."

Here goes :

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_dobkp_buckeye-females.htm

This hard-to-find breed originated right here in Ohio. Their color is comparable to the dark mahogany red buckey nut. Their wing and primary tail feathers will show some black. They also have close-fitting pea combs. These brown egg layers are stout and broad, making them excellent dual-purpose birds. Average mature weights: roosters 9 lbs.; hens 6 1/2 lbs.

It's also the name of a tree, a nut and a candy (the latter made to look like the nut).

The Ohio Buckeye is the state tree of Ohio and an original term of endearment for the pioneers on the Ohio frontier, with specific association with William Henry Harrison. Subsequently, the word was used as the nickname of the Ohio State University sports teams and came to be applied to any graduate of the university.

The buckeye confection, made to resemble the tree's nut, is made by dipping a dollop of peanut butter fudge in milk chocolate, leaving a circle of the fudge exposed. These are a popular treat in Ohio, especially during the Christmas and NCAA college football seasons.

Well, that's my two cents plain for the day. I've got a notary test to take in about two hours so I need to put on my hat and gloves and make like a banana and split !
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice