Cairns Region

Published by skip in the blog skip's Blog. Views: 467

I finally made it to Cairns, my new base for exploring North Queensland. This town has really changed since my last visit 22 years ago! Back then there wasn't even an International Airport, and mostly backpackers knew about the wonders of this region.

[​IMG]
Cairns Esplanade & International Hostel​

Today Cairns is a bustling place, with big hotels, shopping malls, artificial lagoon (in place of a beach), and crowds of tourists everywhere. It's still rather laid back compared to larger cities in Australia, and a good portion of the visitors are still backpackers.

[​IMG]
Cairns Lagoon​

There's so much to do around here. That's why I've set my base up here since I'm working on three new websites, including the Hip Guide to Australia which will be unveiled in a few weeks.

[​IMG]
Clifton Beach, north of Cairns​

I'll be visiting Kuranda, Cape Tribulation, The Great Barrier Reef, Daintree National Park (rainforests), Port Douglas and more. So here's a taste of what this paradise is like...

[​IMG]
Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas​
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice