DMTrott

The Betel Man, Varanasi

DMTrott, May 4, 2024

If cannabis isn't your cup of tea, you could try betel nut, as provided by vendors like this enterprising chap.

The Betel Man, Varanasi
    • ~Zen~
      Something I have never tried! Did you?
    • DMTrott
      @~Zen~

Yes. I've tried it there and various other places in India. It's like a very strong expresso, but somehow cleaner feeling. It is often/usually mixed with some sort of tobacco, which makes it really heady and far too strong for me. Here's a write-up from when I had it clean: 3.3.1 Betel Nut
    • Mountain Valley Wolf
      @~Zen~ You can find it here in the states at some Asian Stores. In the Philippines it was wrapped in a leaf (which you can buy) and then it was dipped in a white powder which you should be able to buy here too---I forget what it is called. On my last trip to Hawaii we saw it growing on a palm tree (betel palm) and I suddenly realized after all those years in the Philippines, I never tried it. I mean, it's what old people did, not young cool people like me (LOL). So we bought some in a Micronesian store and did it. I saw God! ...No I didn't--that's a joke----yeah about like an espresso high.

Then I happened to see it here in Denver in several smaller Asian stores. It seems to me that you are probably more likely to find it in a small corner Asian grocery store that serves a local Hmong or Vietnamese community. Or a pacific community if you have one.
      DMTrott and ~Zen~ like this.
    • Mountain Valley Wolf
      @DMTrott I just read your post on betel nut----that's what the white powder is---lime. I wanted to write lime earlier but kept thinking, "no---that's the fruit, what was it? Lye? No that's not right."
      DMTrott and ~Zen~ like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Travel
    Uploaded By:
    DMTrott
    Date:
    May 4, 2024
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2832px
    Height:
    1593px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G960F
    Date / Time:
    2019:11:04 04:42:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/297 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice