Best Brand of Condom

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by peacelovebarefeet, Jul 4, 2005.

1. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

whats the best brand of condom to use?

2. SkeeterVT

SkeeterVT Member

As far as the female condom goes, there is only one brand available: Monistat. And even then, its availability is limited compared to male condoms, depending on where you live.

As for male condoms, it pretty much boils down to the two major national brands: Trojan and LifeStyles. Trojan condoms have been around since World War II; LifeStyles came out in the '80s specifically in response to the AIDS epidemic.

I personally prefer LifeStyles because I can put one on even while my penis is soft (and it won't slip off); I have to wait until it's fully erect before I can put on a Trojan condom.

But my preference doesn't necessarily mean it would work for you. Only you can determine which condom works best for you.

One very important caveat, however: AVOID lambskin condoms. They break far too easily (and in fact are banned in most states as unsafe for HIV prevention). Latex condoms are the most widely available, but if you're allergic to latex, there are polyurethane condoms, which are more expensive but much stronger than latex.

-- Skeeter

3. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Trojan Supra Microsheer Polyurethane condoms rock! They're far stronger than latex and are far more effective at preventing pregnancy and STDs. Another plus is sensation and heat transfer are 10 x better for both partners. The only downside is they are more expensive.

I discovered then last summer and have used them exclusively ever since.

4. nicelytoasted

nicelytoasted Member

i only knew durex and trojan. is that naieve or cos im in the uk?

5. SlickShaggy

SlickShaggy Member

Trojan Supra Microsheer Polyurethane are they that much better, and do they accually prevent pregancy more or is that just because of the fact that they are stronger

6. hiro

hiro pursue it

I have used durex and don't care for them much. Normally I use trojan but I might need to try lifestyle.

7. hiro

hiro pursue it

I know they have a huge variety. I normally only go with sensitive though.

8. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

thanks guys!

so... lifestyles or trojans... sounds good to me!

9. SkeeterVT

SkeeterVT Member

As a longtime user of LifeStyle condoms, I most certainly disagree with your assertion that they're "crap." That's your personal opinion.

I don't use Trojans, but unlike you, I won't put Trojans down as "crap." We all have our personal preferences and I prefer LifeStyles, in part because I find them to be more comfortable.

More importantly, when it comes to using condoms to protect myself and my partners from HIV infection -- which, as a bi man, is uppermost on my mind -- LifeStyles condoms, in my opinion, are second to none.

(It's also no accident that LifeStyles condoms were created and marketed specifically with gay and bisexual men in mind, hence its brand name).

-- Skeeter

10. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

We always use lubricated Trojans.. I dunno, they just seem to give the most "realistic" feeling compared to not using protection. Just a preference ..but hey, as long as everyone is using SOME kind of condom, thats great news =)

11. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I have always been partial to Trojan. Trojan-Enz is the one with the "receptacle tip," which makes for neater disposal since it provides a place for the semen to be. Unfortunately, they don't still make them in NON-lubricated -- only in lubricated.

I simply will not use a lubricated condom. If I want lube and the wetness of the vagina is not adequate, I will use a natural oil, preferably a food-grade oil like almost or coconut. This is because I do not want to later be licking that area and tasting nonoxynol-9 or some spermicidal artificial lube shit. That's disgusting, and I want to taste either pussy or food oils, but definitely not weirdo chemicals...

-Jeffrey

12. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Skeeter, apart from having a NAME that appeals to gay and bisexual men, what specific difference are there in LifeStyles condoms that set them apart from condoms NOT designed with gay and bi men in mind??

Or is it just name-brand hype bullshit that you're being victimized by?

-Jeffrey

13. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

I agree...I HATE how most lubricants taste, even (if not especially) the 'flavored' ones. Saliva from a freshly brushed mouth is the best lube, in my opinion. Second to that is jojoba oil.

Back to the original topic, while my boyfriend and I no longer use condoms, the one that we could best tolerate was made by Kimono.

14. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

durex or passante
    mates' red ones are evil and tend to split/slip off/ have a horrible consistency/ prune up in uncomfortable ways

15. DoggoD

DoggoD Member

After using Durex ultrathin for awhile, I cant use anything else! They are just the best! I guess it depends on how they fit you....Durex fits me perfect. They are a lot tighter than any others I have tried, and there is nothing worse then a bad fitting condom. They are so tight, that it is almost like wearing a cock ring! I think that if you are of the extra large variety (I am average, or slightly above) these may be too tight though....might break or something.

16. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

They are stronger and therefore are therefore more efficent at preventing pregnancy

17. xthevalkyriex

xthevalkyriex Member

Pleasure Plus condoms. They're not sold in most stores, but a lot of guys have said they feel the most "natural". And oil is not a good lube choice for condoms..always used water-based lubes.

18. SkeeterVT

SkeeterVT Member

LifeStyles condoms were for years tipped with the spermicide Nonoxynol-9, which in early AIDS research was thought to also kill HIV. More recently, however, Nonoxynol-9 was found to have harmful side effects and is no longer included.

-- Skeeter

19. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Yeah I forgot to mention that in my recommendation of oil as lube: only if you're not using a condom!

20. CyberRoach

CyberRoach Banned

i usually just put a banana peel on my cock right before I put it in...