Paregoric Liquid?

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by stoner24/7, Jun 30, 2005.

1. stoner24/7

stoner24/7 Member

anyone had any experience with it?
    dosage?
    what exactly is it?
    i know it is an opiate what is it prescribed for ?

2. Godot

Godot Member

It's a tincture of opium and camphor. Perscribed for diarrhea.

3. Weinberg43

Weinberg43 Member

Is that what they call "syrup"? At first when I saw kids drinking it mixed with tropical sprite remix I assumed it was Robotussin cough syrup like litterally, but when I asked them they said taht it is a liquid opiate. Not in those words because no one who does drugs in my county even know what is classified as an opiate. Is that stuff hard to get? When I say get I mean perscribed...

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I haven't seen paragoric prescribed in quite a long time. Less "fun" drugs like Immodium have basically replaced it.

I had colic when I was a baby, and my mother used to give me Paragoric to shut me up.:rolleyes:

5. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Very close. . . it is camphorated tincture of opium. It is a tincture, not a syrup. It used to be an elixir, usually elixir of paregoricum. Diarrhea is the main reason it is prescribed anymore, but there are other reasons, such as a baby born addicted to opiates. Paregoric has a very interesting history in pharmaceuticals. It taste like black jelly beans and moonshine. It was available over the counter for a very long time. In fact, "Druggists" used to keep paregoric at their lunch counters, and mix it with coke for people to drink with their meal! I wish I could have seen pharmacy before it was so over regulated. . .

Paregoric provides 2 mg of morphine per teaspoonful. A teaspoonful is 5mL, not just a spoon from your kitchen drawer. If you are opiate naive, 1-2 teaspoonfuls should be enough to start, you can always take more, but if you take too much at first, you're screwed. I would mix it with some coke! Many people are allergic to morphine. As always, IF you are going to experiment with this drug, use caution and common sense. It has the potential to be very dangerous. . . or even fatal.